Colt Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
So the Nylon 66's receiver is actually the stock. What you see as a metal receiver is actually just a piece of sheet metal over a nylon receiver. Where the barrel mounts to the receiver is a flex point. So if you have a scope on the rifle, and flex the receiver, the barrel will move from POA. Since the rear sight is mounted to the barrel, any flex won't disturb POI.

Now that said, it will do minute of squirrel at 25 yards with or without a scope...they're not THAT inaccurate unless you go out of your way.

As for reliability, they're pretty legendary for working all the time, even with pretty much no maintenance.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I actually am considering buying one, but with my aging eyes I would definitely put a scope on it. Why are they no good with a scope???
Also, to those who owned them, I have 2 concerns: reliability as I don't need yet another jam-o-matic, and accuracy. Are they minute of squirrel head at 25 yards if scoped?
The 'receiver' is a very thin gauge piece of sheet metal which is not loosely attached by two screws, but slight shifting movement is possible. A scope does not hold zero well over time.

Not known as jamming actions, like the Marlin 60.

Tom Frye used the Nylon to hit 10,004 out of 10,010 wood blocks tossed into the air. So it is HOS (head of squirrel) accurate.

Remington's Classic Nylon 66

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Growing up all my friends had 22 rifles, one of us had a Nylon 66. I had a Stevens/Savage bolt gun which I still own. Other than they don’t make the 66 anymore the wisest choice for anyone’s hard earned cash would be a Ruger 10/22.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I've got one. A 1962; in Seneca Green that has up-teen thousands of rounds ran through it, beat all to hell and back, cracked trigger guard with not much original blue left but it shoots every time all the time. Maybe I'll ask a $1000 for it. :p

·
Registered
967 Posts
Growing up all my friends had 22 rifles, one of us had a Nylon 66. I had a Stevens/Savage bolt gun which I still own. Other than they don’t make the 66 anymore the wisest choice for anyone’s hard earned cash would be a Ruger 10/22.
No doubt the 10/22 is a legendary rifle... But it's the least interesting .22 rifle I can think of. Plain vanilla.

Sure the 10/22 is a "better" rifle than a Nylon 66, but the Nylon 66 is far more interesting to me just because you won't see 10 at the range when you show up.

Give me a pump action Winchester .22 every day of the week.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
No doubt the 10/22 is a legendary rifle... But it's the least interesting .22 rifle I can think of. Plain vanilla.

Sure the 10/22 is a "better" rifle than a Nylon 66, but the Nylon 66 is far more interesting to me just because you won't see 10 at the range when you show up.

Give me a pump action Winchester .22 every day of the week.

View attachment 745415
Couldn't agree more about the 10/22 and I'll take my pump action 22 Winchester 6 days of the week:
project7.jpg

....but on that 7th day I want to cut loose with a semi-auto .22!!!

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
My first gun was a brown Nylon 66 back in the early 70's. To clean it, I would swish it around in our stock tank then spray it with WD-40. I don't ever remember a jam or failure to do anything it wasnt suppose to do. Wish I had it today. I sure didnt know they were commanding such high prices today. I'll stick with my Winchester 1890 ;)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Turns out at the most 200 of those blue 66s were made:
And 678000 of the Mohawk Brown. That is a lot and I am sure most are still around. Why the high prices???

·
Registered
11,046 Posts
I still have my Nylon 66 in Apache Black...the first gun I ever bought.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Turns out at the most 200 of those blue 66s were made:
And 678000 of the Mohawk Brown. That is a lot and I am sure most are still around. Why the high prices???
There is a limit at which the human body can withstand an amount of ingested drugs. Once that limit is surpassed, you get actual sales of Nylon rifles exceeding $3,000. And, of course, a fellow wanting $4,000 apiece for a hundred of them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That is exactly how I learned about the Nylon 66, one of my friends had one growing up. I always wanted one and eventually got a good deal on the one I have. I had a Winchester 190 that my father bought me for my 16th birthday which I still have also. Eventually I picked up the fancier model 290. My cousin had a 10/22, but I don't remember what the rest of my friends had, probably just old bolts, but that Remington I always remembered.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts