Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Year, finish, beauty, any special or limited edition - for both collectability and shooting prowess.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If i was going to only buy one Colt 1911 It would be the Colt Marine Pistol On Colt catalog page 23 Id number O1070CQB

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Well technically speaking you'd be limited to pistols made between 1911 and 1920 someting. Colt, Springfield Armory, ot Rem-UMC.

But if you ignore the technical jargon, and open the choices up to any 1911 type pistol, then there are way too many options IMO to narrow it down to one.

Collectibility: I'd be inclined to get a nice ITHACA GUN CO. M1911A1
Shooting prowess: Me thinks a COLT Commander in .38 Super Auto, which is also quie suitable as a carry piece.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
You're going to have to give us a budget. Without a doubt, a Singer 1911A1 would be at the top of my list! Only 500 made. Next on my list would be a U.S. Navy-issued Colt 1911A1. For most mortals, a Union Switch & Signal 1911A1 would suffice. Then, there are the Colt National Match 1911's...High Dollar, great shooters, excellent collectibility...I could go on and on...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Colt Gold Cup Commander National Match in shooter condition. Since it's going to be my only one I want to carry it and shoot the hell out of it at the range and not feel a bit of guilt wearing it out and rebuilding it.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
...it would be any un-messed-with plain, actual Colt m1911 as such.

If I had my druthers, I'd go for one made just prior to WWI, so, say, 1914, 1915...even 1916, that is, if I had to live with it and carry it and so on.

If for the Safe, then 1912, 1913.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Probably a Remington-UMC. And of course be lucky enough for it to have been the one issued to Sgt. York. For shooting, a 60s pre series 70.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Series 70 Colt 1911 Government
They run forever, never break(and if they do, parts are interchangeable),tolerances are loose enough to fire under most any condition and always go bang..ammo also is readily available
iMHO, The Perfect one gun for all purposes
OR: Maybe my Hard Chrome Special Combat Government with G10 grips ...What an incredible totally loaded with custom features 1911 from the Custom Shop. Dead on nuts for accurate. The Bowmar adjustable rear sight is incredible. The hard chrome finish is about indestructible

( I know its sacrilege and heresy but my SIG MK 25 Navy Seal is a phenomenal semi. Especially with its Gemtech Tundra Silencer. Awesome...Bit still not on a par with a Colt 1911!)

·
Registered
665 Posts
'26 Commercial w/ real ivory grips..... oh wait.... I already OWN that one.......... life is good

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would love to own a 1912 Navy sn# 501-1000. After that it would have to be a 39 navy (but I guess that is a 1911A1) just for saving in my safe. I guess you can't go wrong with any because the are all great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If ammo were not an issue (i.e., I could always get commercial ammo if I could't reload) , it would hands down be my Delta Elite.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Without a doubt, a Singer 1911A1 would be at the top of my list! Only 500 made.
Yep. Mine, too. I was fortunate enough to have one of those "sewing machine pistols" in my arms room back in the 80s. I'd almost give an arm to own one now as a collectible. As for a shooter, does my Lightweight Officers Model .45 ACP count as a "1911?" I've never considered it nor called it a "1911." Many functioning similarities to an original M1911, but I've always called it just what it is: an Officers .45 ACP. That said, it's a genuine Colt and it shoots great, carries concealed very well and shoots big bullets. That's my story.

Reactions: Mohave1

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I would like an early auto. Colt 1900 US 1st Army contract 38acp. The pistol that started the auto development.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts