Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In recent years I've lost track of current Colt models, hence my ignorance about what to me is a 'recent' model. Today in a pawnshop I looked at a Series 80 (so marked) Govt Model in Super .38, with brushed stainless steel finish on flat surfaces, dull matt finish on concave surfaces. I can't find this model on Colt's website, so I assume it is no longer in production.

Serial number (which alas, I didn't write down) was etched rather than stamped. Stocks were black rubber with (I think) inset Colt logos. Black plastic long trigger; flat longitudinally grooved mainspring housing. Good fixed sights--by 'good' I mean sharp and visible, with three white dots. While I didn't look for all of the 'enhanced' features, I noticed the weapon did not have the slight relief cut in the front gripstrap just below the triggerguard.

This weapon was what I'd call a traditional pattern, with spur hammer and conventional grip safety, as opposed to a skeleton burr hammer and duck's derriere grip safety. Slide serrations were at a 90 degree angle to the long axis of the slide, as opposed to being raked forward. Condition was excellent, with a few minor work scratches, bore mint.

This pawnshop, while not cheap, usually prices its firearms within the realm of reality. They wanted $995 plus tax for the above weapon. My problem is that I remember too far back pricewise, and haven't paid much attention to Colt prices in recent years. I could only find a few examples on AuctionArms, and none in this caliber, for price comparision. Is this overly expensive, or more or less average? Your opinions are solicited.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Colt came out with this Government Model MK IV Series 80 in S/S and .38 super cal. around 1989. I bought one new in the box from a dealer in Nov. 1989. This was prior to the later upgraded and enhanced models. I have since reworked it to include adj. rear and replacable front blade sights, beaver tail grip safety, Bar-sto match barrel and bushing, and misc. other improvements. Quite a good shooter! The retail in 89 was about $550. $995 sounds a bit high unless it is basically unused and has the original packaging and paper work. The box was the woodgrain cardboard sleeve with a styrofoam 2 piece insert. At the time I was a shooter and saw no problem upgrading to better specs and preformance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Last Dec. I bought a bright stainless 38 super S80 for $950 from a dealer here in WA. The gun was as new condition, no box. I took it to the range once and sold it a few weeks ago. Nothing wrong with it just didn't like the caliber. I guess I prefer 45. I sold it on GI for $1100 in 3 days. Don't know what it's really worth but Colt supers are a prize in Mex. so there is a market for them there. Jim

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... Don't know what it's really worth but Colt supers are a prize in Mex. so there is a market for them there. Jim
I only live 40 miles from Mexico...but I don't need the money bad enough to risk spending my golden years as a guest of the Mexican government.

The pistol I saw has no box or other original stuff and has been fired; my interest in it would be as a shooter. From your experience, sounds as if, while no bargain, it's not priced ridiculously high, but just at the top of market. Thanks to those who replied.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's a good price in my area.

I got one just like it, with the box and a custom barrel of unknown manufacture. Has MMC sites but will change to Novaks. I thought it was a good deal at $1150 for the Novak cut and barrel. I'd jump on the one at the pawn shot

·
Registered
122 Posts
That sounds like the standard model of the 1991A1 line and likely has the old roll mark down the side. They have the black plastic trigger and silver plastic MSH. I can't see paying that amount for one, but then again I can't find one for too much less than that in North Florida. I can say that I own three 1991A1's with the old roll marking (big 1991A1 down the side) and their used prices were all right at $500. But they are all .45 ACP's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts