Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who can explain the importance of the the "flaming bomb" on the parkerized Commando? Does it "command", (sorry for the pun), a premium over the models that don't have the flaming bomb? Thanks for your help here since I am looking at four:

Candidate # 1

Candidate #2

candidate #3

Candidate #4:

So what do you all think about these little fellas? They range in the $750 - $800
range.. No boxes or papers

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The "Ord Bomb" is the proof of final acceptance by the Army Ordnance Dept's in-house inspector at Colt.

It indicates two things, 1) that the firearm meets are contractual requirements (and thus will be paid for by the government)
and 2) that it is ready to ship to a depot for issue to troops .......

Not all Commandos had the Ord Bomb applied. Only those that went to the US Army for distribution.

Others went out unmarked and were shipped to the Defense Supply Corporation for issue to Defense Plants, Police Dept.'s and other qualified organizations that applied for purchase of firearms outside the US Army supply system.

Sale of all NEWLY manufactured firearms during WW2 were strictly controlled and were basically rationed on an as-needed and priority basis.

hth ~

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
As to the examples shown; the walnut grips are incorrect for any WW2 issued Colt Commando / in my opinion

others here may disagree

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Most had the dark brown plastic Coltwood (or other material) stocks, but there are claims as mentioned that some, especially early ones, were supplied with the checkered walnut with medallions which were standard on other models at that time. :cool:

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
The proper Commando stocks are Coltwood (plastic) as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

Those are nice guns. I have a couple that are probably unfired, but I don't have the box. There are some Commando threads in the archives here that you might like to look at.

I just posted this pic not too long ago, but since the subject came up again I will recycle it. Without looking up the number to be sure, I recall that only 50,000 or so Commandos were assembled, and the lion's share had four-inch barrels. Some very high-condition models have been turning up in recent years, so I suspect that some of those produced were never even distributed.

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
The bottom 2 from the original post (or if its the same gun) has 1953 or later trooper/official police stocks and most likely not correct. I have an early commando with USAAF markings on the bottom of the grip handle. It may bring a premium to a Army or Air Force Collector. I sold one of these that had markings that it may have been at a Ford plant (the buyer was an ex-ford employee). The guns you are looking at appear to be what sellers are asking so selling price may be less.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
"and the lion's share had four-inch barrels."

Nothing to do with Commandos, but Lions do not share. Properly, referring to the Lion's Share of something means all of it (except maybe some leftover bones).

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
"and the lion's share had four-inch barrels."

Nothing to do with Commandos, but Lions do not share. Properly, referring to the Lion's Share of something means all of it (except maybe some leftover bones).
I stand informed. I had always heard it to mean "as much as the lion wants," which is basically most.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I agree with A1A some of the very early Commando revolvers did have walnut grips, the prototype Commando was still numbered in the OP serial range before going on to have their own number series.
So it stands to reason that some probably a very few had walnut stocks. The OP was in full production at this time. The rest is history.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks to all..... I printed out the Pate article and some of the authentic photos. I am going to get a Commando one day, just waiting for the right one to come along. I want the flaming bomb mark. I am like the lion, laying in wait for the right prey to wander by. (Even though the females do most of the hunting, I am certain if lunch walked right by a male he would pounce immediately,) My future Commando is destined to come by soon!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks to all..... I printed out the Pate article and some of the authentic photos. I am going to get a Commando one day, just waiting for the right one to come along. I want the flaming bomb mark. I am like the lion, laying in wait for the right prey to wander by. (Even though the females do most of the hunting, I am certain if lunch walked right by a male he would pounce immediately,) My future Commando is destined to come by soon!
You know it's the bachelors that have to hunt for their own food! :rolleyes: The married ones have to eat what their given and take extra fish oil if it's beef!:bang_wall:
God Bless
Daryl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts