Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,889 Posts
Re: I\'m a S&W guy - what\'s happening to me?

You've been infected with IEV, Infantile Equine Virus, an insatiable desire to buy guns with the Colt Pony on them.

Sorry to say, there's no treatment, much less a cure. The only palliative is to purchase just enough to keep the itchy palms and sweating to a minimum.

It helps to stay out of gun shops, and gun shows. Don't subscribe to gun-related magazines, NEVER pick up a Shotgun News or Gun List, and DON'T answer the phone.

Of course, this won't really help too much, since you can hear "The Call" from miles and miles away.

I got infected as a small child in the early 1950's by a overwhelming desire to have a Colt 1911. As a poor, broke retiree I can no longer afford to buy guns, but even now I can hear a Colt 357 Model calling to me.

On the bright side, Colts top the list as the most collectible handguns, and the values NEVER go down. When you buy a Colt, you've GOT SOMETHING.

Welcome to the "diseased", join the crowd.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Bob,
That's strange. I'm definately an S&W guy myself. Lately though more Colts than S&W's are finding their way into my safe. It seems to be affecting other guys from the S&W forum as well. Must be contagious.

Randy

·
Registered
124 Posts

I'm one of the infected S&W'er's too. My first Colt is on its way (a 1956 .38 OMM) I want (need) a Woodsman match target, a Python, a .22 OMM, a ...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

kpmtns - email to you about the Match Target shown above. Bob

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts

I think it started on the Smith site when I registered there! I have noticed an increased presence here of Smith forum members since that time. We certainly need the help here. Keep coming Smith people, there is room enough for both. My last several purchases have all been Smiths to help even things out!

Is that a "357" with the fabulous full-checkered stocks?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

JC - yes it is; in fact, it's the one I asked you about on the S&W forum concerning its white "face". I like it so much, I've been looking for a 6-incher to go along with it, but so far the only one I've found that I've liked (on gunsamerica) didn't have the fully checkered grips, which is part of the reason I like the 4" one so much. So, I had to buy a .22 OMT (OMM?) from the 50's, that I should get late next week. I wanted a .38, mebbe that'll come later, after my credit card cools down. I also am getting a Colt poster from the early 60's to put in my study/junk room. It has all the handguns, and their prices. You know, a lot of us of a certain age seem to want the Colt's from the 50's and 60's as shooters, but given their well documented corporate problems from that era, I wonder if the quality was really better than ones made after that period.

[This message has been edited by Bullet Bob (edited 06-18-2003).]

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts

BB, sounds like you are badly infected. Sorry the OMM did not help. (If it is from the 1950s, it is either an OMS or OMM, not an OMT.) Does your OMM have the full-checkered stocks?

Yes, Colt did change hands a lot in the 1950s and 1960s, but the quality stayed up for the most part. Some of the most interesting Colts were made during that period, but the quality cannot match the Pre-War stuff. Nothing can.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Fully checkered stocks - check. Here are some pictures from the seller's auction site - Peter Resnick, Bullseye Gun Shop - (talked with him on the phone today, seemed like a great guy).

Could someone tell me what the purpose of the bevel around the rear of the cylinder is for?

I should have this pup (pony?) in my hands by late next week. Then I can do the "fire or not to fire" internal debate I've had with myself over several S&W's, all of which have now fulfilled their purpose in life. I love to shoot with precision machinery, and truthfully I can't afford to be a collector. Wish I could though!

I've only cocked one fairly well-used pre-war Colt - it was something. Maybe after the boat floats in, I'll look for a 1935-39 .38 Officer's Model. Dig those checkered metal parts!

By the way, on the .22 pictured - the serial # is 732xx, which the seller thinks might be 1952 - I have RL Wilson's book, but got confused looking at the serial number tables, since I'm not really all that bright; it seems to me to be 1957 or 58 - any idea?

[This message has been edited by Bullet Bob (edited 06-18-2003).]

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts

BB, what a nice OMM! The box and papers are great. (I have had great success removing tape with starting fluid [ether], but be careful and go slow, letting the ether soften the tape. You will usually have to use a soft cloth soaked in ether to remove the residue on the box. If the tape is really stubborn, carburetor cleanor can be use, but it will also remove the box pattern if not careful.)

I believe your OMM is 1957-58 as you say. The Officers Model numbering is really confused as you say, but mine is in the 62000 range and lettered in 1952. Your OMM appears to have the early features like the flat rear sight (but not early enough to have a rounded front on the sight base where it inlets into the top strap) and, of course, the full-checkered stocks! Nice!

If you are still looking for that "357" 6-inch, take a look at this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=9583137

Looks good to me! From the looks of you, you need another Colt treatment about now, and the "357" would be good medicine.

The bevel around the rear of the cylinder is the "groove" in the extra length of the cylinder necessary to make the rimfire cylinder work with the centerfire cylinder stop (on the frame) that keeps the cylinder from going rearward when ejecting the spent cases. With the extra cylinder length needed to embed the cartridge head on the rimfires, the only way to make it work with the regular cylinder stop is to make a "groove" in the rear of the cylinder. The centerfire cylinders are shorter because the cartridge head is not embedded. Is that clear as mud? If not, I will try again.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for the benefit of your knowledge.

By the way, is it just me, or does typing
OMM(MMMMM) make you feel like a "young adult" in the late 60's, early 70's?

·
Registered
40 Posts

I've owned a 3rd issue Woodsman and a SA Colt .22 New Frontier for a while now but it's the last couple Colt's that have given me the "bug".

I've posted these pics on the other forum but here they are again.

This pre war .22 OMT from 1937 is just great. It's like new and the quality is outstanding. It has Ropers and King sights with the front reflector base.

My 59' Python is also a jewel.

I also recently picked up this 78' vintage .22 Diamondback. Although the finish can't compare to the older Colts, it has a very nice action and I love the way it looks. It's unfired and so far I've been unwilling to fire it.

Not too long ago I looked for S&W's exclusively. Now I find myself searching the auction sites and gun shows for Colts as well!

Randy

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Very nice - can I have that 30's model when you're done with it?

I was thinking about my recent Colt addiction myself - I've owned one since the 70's, but I am a S&W guy, basically. I think that the Smith field is getting crowded, and a little too popular for me. That's certainly okay with me, the more people who appreciate these American works of art, the better. And I decided that's why I've gotten into Colt's, a little - I've known a something about them for a long time, but never owned one of their double action revolvers before recently. It's fun feeling like you have a piece of history in your hand, and I really like using them. I've got to say though, that if I was in a situation that called for a gun in hand, I'd want my model 27 S&W; familiarity in this case has led to trust and confidence.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Well very nice pieces, let me tell you something; I love S&w da revolvers and colt's too, I'm glad to find this site so see such beautiful pieces.

For me the new revolvers don't catch my eye,thye tend to be poor in tolerances and finishes.

I love the da revolvers from colt and s&w dated 1900-1970 aprox.

Well my wishes in colt would be find a good .22 target revolver something lyke the OMM you are showing and a nice dick specialwith shoured ejector rod.
A nice diamondback in 4 inches would be nice too to make a pair with my python.

However I have to wake up and realize i would never have these guns cause they are so rare to find in my country and the ones I've seein are junk.

Manny

·
Registered
32 Posts

I'm one of the infected S&W'er's too. My first Colt is on its way (a 1956 .38 OMM) I want (need) a Woodsman match target, a Python, a .22 OMM, a ...
1911, a Diamondback in .22 rim, a SAA, a ...

·
Registered
32 Posts

As much as I enjou my S&Ws, a few of the colt variety have sneeked into my collection...^"Anaconda .44 mag, a Diamondback .38, A Ni. Trooper III .357, a Pol Pos SP and 2 1903's in .32acp. I think that the remander of 2003 nmay be the year of the Colt for me. yashua

1 - 17 of 17 Posts