Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I\'m always surprised by how many Colt Owners

have never shot any of the Colt Revolvers.

Now the 1911 is a great gun and I certainly appreciate it for style, pointability, function and history, but you gotta admit, it just ain't the most beautiful child Colt ever produced. I mean come on, Old Slabsides.

But if you look at the handguns that Colt has made over the years, one constant has been that the revolvers have been works of art. With the exception of the Dark Ages (when Colt was making all those god awful finishes), Colt revolvers have been among the most beautiful, if not THE most beautiful hand guns made. They have been balanced, flowing lines, inovative and functional.

But still, most Colt owners have never even held one much less fired one.

Why?

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: I\'m always surprised by how many Colt Owners

Well, in my case I fell in love with old slabsides when I was a kid. It just looked right in a way that other autos of the time did not. Years and new offerings of other brands have done nothing to diminish my appreciation of the 1911.

Also it is only recently that I have developed an appreciation for the revolver. I had a Dan Wesson Model 15 some years ago that I used for my armed courier job. I wanted a 1911 but autos were not allowed. I should not have sold the DW as the technical features of those guns are impressive but I did not care for revolvers, then.

In my most recent fit of fiscal insanity concerning firearms I find that I MUST have a revolver. One of my personal idiosyncracies is that I hate following the crowd so that means S&W is out. For some reason I find the cylinder release to be visually off-putting also. The Colt style of having the LS recoil shield as the cylinder release is so much more aesthetic to me. Rugers are just flat ugly (although the GP100 is ok). The added Colt benefits of accuracy and finish are icing on the cake.

Needless to say the search is on. Now if I could just get the shops to stop looking at me like I have flourescent hair when I ask for revolvers, and then like I've grown three heads too when I ask for Colts...

·
Registered
933 Posts

Okay, I have the following and haven't shot them - would you?

M1911A1 Ithaca, 1944, US Army - as new, unfired.

4" and 6" Python, 1979, NIB w/papers - unfired.

I have a 4" Python I do shoot but find it very hard to shoot the above beauties.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I guess I can see your point, but I'm one of those If GOD hadn't meant them to be shot he wouldn't have made them".

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Jar I tend to lean toward you position on this matter. A buddy of mine used to say "ships are safe in the harbor but that’s not where ships were meant to be." Same with guns. Same with muscle cars. Etc.

However, the pointman makes a good point. (I wonder if that is where his name came from?) Pointman, you must have enough guns to shoot that you need not shoot those beauties. So why not leave them the way they are. Nothing wrong with that. I would do the same in your shoes.

Although I say I will shoot every gun I own, the truth is I haven’t. Yes I have several pristine NIB unfired guns. But it was never my intention to leave them that way. It’s a matter of not getting around to it. I have enough other stuff to shoot that they (NIB guns) have taken a back seat (low priority) when it comes to taking them out.

I recently bought 2 more NIB unfired Colts dating to the early to mid 90’s that were limited production put out by the Colt Custom shop. When the dealer asked me if I was ever going to shoot them I said, "absolutely." He said that’s what I like to hear. But the truth is, I may not get around to shooting them for a while as I have other stuff that need enjoying 1st.

I have one gun that I only have put 1 round through. It is not a Colt. It is a Ruger 3 screw flat top 44 mag made in 1959. It was my fathers gun, bought brand new & he never fired it. After he died I decided it must be fired in his honor. Since I have plenty of other 44 mags to shoot, I really had no need to fire this particular gun. But I wanted to anyway. So when I went out to the range one day to shoot other guns, I took the flat top & I loaded 1 round into it & told my Dad this is what it would have been like if you had done it.

Did I devalue the gun? (3 screw flat tops early production carry a pretty decent price tag.) But it doesn’t really matter. It’s my gun now & there was no way I was going to let someone else get to put the 1st round ever through my fathers pride & joy.

So my position is shoot them if you want to, or let the sit for someone else to shoot. As long as you enjoy them & respect them, that is all that really matters.

·
Registered
933 Posts

WS23,
You make several good points but I wouldn't go change your name to "pointsman". Actually, since we are in the lounge and no one seems to be paying much attention to us Colt lovers, I'll make another point about my name since you asked. I use it because I was a pointman (often walked point) while serving with the US Army in VietNam. And I did carry a Colt (M16A1)!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

I must confess that I also have a Colt that has never been fired. A limited edition that I have several times comtemplated shooting, but end up just admiring it, wiping it down and placing it back. One day it may bark, but till then it still brings a smile to my face.

·
Registered
535 Posts

My Friends, I've known working policemen that daily carried guns they never shot! When it was time for qualification, they'd bring another gun and shoot it! (Thereby circumventing the whole purpose of the thing, of course.) Civilians owning but not shooting guns? Seriously, I think guns reach way back into men's minds. In each of my hobby areas - guns, Lionel trains and musical instruments, I know people that do likewise ... A mint, pre-war Lionel steam locomotive that sits in a box but they NEVER have played with it. A brand-new, 1959 Hammond organ that still is in it's crate!? Makes NO sense to me, but, "one man's meat ..."

·
Registered
4 Posts

i got a model 94 Win trapper, an anniversary edition honoring the 150th Bday of Winchester,
it has gold plated loading port and trigger, gold plated saddle ring and bead, and a nice, shiny medallion on the left side of the gun.
It hung over on our wall, decoratively, for 25 years (my father once bought it), now it got its weekly action in the shooting range. a box or two .30-30's, and i gotta say it's the best gun i ever shot. and best-looking too!

·
Registered
26 Posts

My son has a saying, when asked at a Gun Show if the gun he is selling or trading has ever been fired.

Some Guy Will Allways Ask "Ever Been Fired"?

My Son will reply, "Yes Sir They All Have Been Test Fired At The Factory".

And He Is Not trying to be smart, My Son Is Just Being Truthful!

So somebody allready beat us to it.

So there is No Such Thing As A Un-Fired Gun!

------------------
Own A Colt Or Own A COPY!

·
Registered
88 Posts

Years ago I was bitten by the bug of finding (and buying) the best condition guns I could find. Of course when I got these guns home I would never shoot them and they would end up just sitting unused in my safe. Finally after a few years of this I started selling off the guns that didn't get used (or even touched) from some fear that I would lower the value and "collectibility" of them. Now I don't even look at the near mint guns anymore because I know that if I did buy them they would just sit in my safe collecting dust not being used for the very purpose that they were made for (which is kind of a sad thought). I leave the collecting of "near new" collectibles to others, for me I would rather have some well used (but not abused) Colt that has been used as designed, and since they are no longer "mint" I don't have to worry if they get an extra scratch on them! One of my favorite guns is a .45 Government model made in 1947, this gun is around 90% but all original and never abused. This gun has a lot of holster wear, someone used and trusted this gun enough to carry it, and to me that is worth more than any "like new" old gun that I could ever find.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I always have to shoot them. I collect guns to shoot, not just to polish and look at. Of course, my collection does not include 100 year old works of art, so not sure what I would do if I had a mueseum-quality wheelgun.

Steve

------------------
"Make your enemies by choice, not by chance." - Alfred Bester

1 - 12 of 12 Posts