Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I love my SAAs, with the crazy prices they're gone up to, I'm done buying them. There's no common SAA out there that's worth north of $2,000.00 or $3,000.00 or more to me. The same for USFA and Standard. Fortunately I've got enough to keep me happy right now, and if I ever feel the need for a new single action I can always go the Italian route. Of course bargains do occasionally pop up, and obviously I would make an exception for those. But generally I'll be looking for guns other than 1st and 2nd SAAs (I have NO interest in 3rd gens) and N Frame Smiths.

Fortunately there are still quite a few interesting guns out there in my sub $1,500.00 comfort range.

Has anyone else reached a limit on SAAs?

Best regards,

PS, Please everyone stop talking about Bisleys, maybe we can keep them under the radar a little longer.

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
Same boat.. except I AM a 3rd Gen dude.. have all I can justify of USFA and Colt. Honestly I don’t even look for them anymore.
I would only buy if It’s a deal of a deal at this point, and somebody would then have to tell me about it , and then if ts listed at”old “ prices , and that’s not gonna happen. What could is somebody decides to sell a used shooter condition at a decent price, locally or something, basically it’s the Warren Buffet mantra. sell when everybody else is buying.. buy when they’re selling”. It’s not a time to buy UNLESS some unfortunate folks out there doesn’t have a SAA at all and never has. Then. Well. Probably ain’t gonna get no cheaper
.. and then
in the words of Boss Spearman in Open Range....
be a shame to to go your whole life and never try somethin’ ,”

oh..
” its Bluebonnet Spearman. And don’t you tell no one. I want to hear you swear an oath ... :)

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same boat.. except I AM a 3rd Gen dude.. have all I can justify of USFA and Colt. Honestly I don’t even look for them anymore.
I would only buy if It’s a deal of a deal at this point, and somebody would then have to tell me about it , and then if ts listed at”old “ prices , and that’s not gonna happen. What could is somebody decides to sell a used shooter condition at a decent price, locally or something, basically it’s the Warren Buffet mantra. sell when everybody else is buying.. buy when they’re selling”. It’s not a time to buy UNLESS some unfortunate folks out there doesn’t have a SAA at all and never has. Then. Well. Probably ain’t gonna get no cheaper
.. and then
in the words of Boss Spearman in Open Range....
be a shame to to go your whole life and never try somethin’ ,”

oh..
” its Bluebonnet Spearman. And don’t you tell no one. I want to hear you swear an oath ... :)
Exactly! BTW, one of my favorite westerns.

Best regards,

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have my one Colt and I'm a happy camper. If I want any more 19th century guns I'm quite content to buy Uberti. I think Uberti makes an amazing product for the money they charge. I wish the S&W's were a little cheaper, but they are very nice.

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,771 Posts
Your not done... your smart. I dont understand this compulsion to buy at these prices. I put my buying on hiatus for now, I also have plenty 1st gens to keep me happy. At this point I only have an interest in certain guns ( i.e. an original pre Custer cavalry and acid etched panel 1st gens ), not just any run of the mill 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen SAA.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I switched to old (OLD) N framed Smiths too, however since COVID they have really spiked as well. Some I am seeing selling for double what they were in 2019 - and even then they were on the climb.

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
Well I just bought two Colts a 45 ACP and 38 Super. Not looking for anything else a 45 SAA gets listed for a reasonably price, my brother offers to buy my half of our 2nd Generation, and another SAA is now on layaway.

But you're correct the prices are too much. A 1997 Colt is listed on GI for $2700, I paid $1895 + fees for 1998.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I have not bought a 1st gen SAA or Bisley for 10 years.
These guns are the most screwed with of any I know of and the very average examples are now priced as if they were outstanding.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I switched to old (OLD) N framed Smiths too, however since COVID they have really spiked as well. Some I am seeing selling for double what they were in 2019 - and even then they were on the climb.
You're right, percentage wise the N frame Smiths have gone up even more than the SAAs over the last 6 months to a year.

Best regards,

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
In last few years I’ve said I’m done buying SAAs then all of a sudden something pops up super affordable out of the blue. But I had cash on hand and made frequent stops at local gun stores. I think if you have $1500 in hand, check online (especially local) gun selling sites every day, and go to gun stores often, you’ll eventually be the first to catch that great deal. I got my renickeled 1890 .44-40 that way for under $800 at a local consignment gun shop about four years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
I think some of you folks live on a different planet than I do. Everything has gone up in price! My 2019 Suburban was nearly $20K more than my 2014 was. My house has doubled in value (according to taxes). I paid $10.00 at Mcdonalds last night for a quarter pounder meal. The US dollar is fast becoming worthless. If you want a SAA or any other gun, you might as well pony up and pay the piper. They aint coming down in price.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts