Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I haven't bought any guns since retiring almost 2 years ago. But while I was still in the "buying a new gun just because I had some money in my pocket" mode, my only thoughts regarding pricing were that the prices seemed high when compared to when I started collecting in earnest, but my income was about 4X what it was as well so everything was relative.
Would I spend over $2000 for an SAA today ? Sure, but it would have to be either an uncommon caliber or uncommon configuration. I have enough standard caliber and configuration SAA's now that were bought when they were sub $1000 so can't justify buying another just for the fun of buying a new gun.

I'm still thinking about that USFA Sheriffs Model .45 with the Bisley hammer that was $2500. I thought that was ridiculous but someone else didn't and it was gone a couple weeks later.

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
i don’t think salaries have quite kept up and followed inflation, particularly for those on the job world for a long while. But obviously situations are different. Some folks certainly can’t justify more than one or more SAA‘s, the wife and family budget says. . I agree if you don’t have any.. and you have the strong urge.. find a way If at all possible.
Monsai point is if you’re all set, he‘s not paying extra for what he‘s already got.
we are all on the same planet though. The blue marble !

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I got 1 brand new Colt SAA 4 3/4" 3#rd Gen awhile ago. But its a later 3rd gen so the fit and finish are absolutely perfect- bluing is beautiful and colored case hardened frame is just gorgeous. It also shoots good and close to poa(no off to the left or right). I only have maybe 20 rounds thru it.
I just had to have at least 1 Colt SAA and I always loved the look of the 4 3/4" barrel size.
But I recently about a month, ago saw a brand new Cimarron Frontier SAA clone in 5 1/2" barrel which I also like, and it looked so good with the walnut grips and fit was perfect and finish was very nice so I bought it at $500 because I want to compare it to the Colt.
The gun looks very nice but the colored case hardening was nice but not as nice as the Colt by any means. But gun shoots good, trigger pull is not bad at all and it shoots close to poa (at 15 yards).
So I am currently done looking for SAA's BUT I want to load up a bunch of 45 colt with 250 grain bullets and shoot these 2 alot more.

The trouble is - NOW I cant even find Bullets or cases to load . and factory loads are near impossible to find and if found are INSANELY Priced. So for now I guess even though i reload, im sol.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I own 4 Colt SAA's two 2nd gen from 1958 and 1966 and two 3rd gen from 2006 and 07. I'm not looking much but if I found one at a decent price I might buy but I would sell one to pay for it. Not much interest in anything else right now but I do like N frames.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I've become more picky regarding SAA's over the years but when I see one I like I still buy it, Mostly just looking at 1st gens these days, Sold all the 3rds I had cause the quality and the history is just not the same

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
That's the question. Are they worth more, or is the dollar worth less.
they are selling at current market price because of the dollar . Demand also boosts the price but there has always been a demand for SAA's. I think it has little to do with today's prices.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I still have one or two more to collect. At this point in time, I'm mostly interested in an engraved BP Colt SAA. 44 or 45. equivalent to the beautiful engraved guns Sinclair has. I would say I only need one but that's just me lying to myself! One is never enough... at least for me 😊

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I will be done when I’m dead , wether tomorrow or 2068. If I see something I want and like, AND to me a good deal ( with available funds ) I buy it . I don’t have a credit card, and spend any available monies on Colts .

My next one probably will be a . NOS 45 4 3/4 nickel from a dealer friend .
I’ve had my eye on it for about a year. When I was close to having funds ( I thought) I asked price. He replied 25........ well worth , but out of my reach .

I saw him last week and brought it up , telling him I was thinking like 17 .
He responded - if I could do 18 ? I told him a month ago I could’ve and would’ve.
I hope to be able to save within a couple months and purchase.

I definitely prefer blued ( in any form) , But this six shooter to me is VERY sharp ! What appeals to me are the walnut with silver medallions. If it had the black plastic , gun would do nothing for me..... it is what it is 🤠

I still want and need a first gen , second gen, and an engraved P model..... in time !

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I bought my first SAA, a NIB 2nd gen 45, as a young guy working in a pretty large LGS in about 1975. I think I paid about $250.00 for it, then had Jim Martin do an action job and make a set of one piece grips for it. It became one of my favorite shooters and I almost always had it with me when I was out shooting with my friends.

That $250.00 I spent was a bit of a stretch but not out of reach for me, but I don't see a young guy, or gal, today being in a position to pay nearly 10 times that amount today. Checking on one of the inflation calculators $125.00 in 1956, equals approximately the $250.00 I paid in 1975, and a little over $1,200.00 today, which would be a very reasonable price, not the nearly $2,000.00 MSRP for a new one with street prices of $2,500.00 or more.

The other thing that's happened due to the high prices is that almost nobody is shooting their new SAAs. I just don't understand the pleasure someone gets from paying several thousands of dollars for a new 3rd gen, then keeping it in a box in the back of the safe and only pulling it out a couple of times a year just to wipe it down and put it back for another 6 months. I'm tired of seeing posts of "Un-fired, un-cocked" 3rd gens, how about some imaged of that rarest of SAAs the well used 3rd gen.

Best regards,

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm tired of seeing posts of "Un-fired, un-cocked" 3rd gens, how about some imaged of that rarest of SAAs the well used 3rd gen.
Not rare and not well used yet, only 200 rounds so far but I plan on at least 2k by summers end. Only 2nd time in my life I paid MSRP for a firearm, other was S&W 29 during the Dirty Harry time.
6361ACE7-F71B-4684-B1B6-ABCE6ED9F7F5.jpeg

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
I think I have 10 of them if I include my 2 colt cowboys, maybe more. A few years ago, I set my max price at $1000 for a SAA. That allowed me to buy buntlines, NFs, first gen bisley‘s and 357 SAAs. I am not paying the current prices but cowboy action shooting has brought many of my guns out again. I believe Colt is loosing future buyers by not having an affordable product for the newer generations. I think CZ could make a turn around, including making a quality product at a more realistic price. In my mind a realistic price is 50% more than a Ruger but not to exceed 2X the price of a ruger. Just my .02.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I now have only one SAA in 45/45ACP,it’s unfired and will probably stay that way. It’s a 1997 3rd Generation and I’m well pleased with the fit and finish. I bought it for how it looks not how it shoots. I have other Colts to shoot and if I don’t want to shoot it that’s my prerogative. Pete

Im going back to my 1911 roots,last picture!

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
I now have only one SAA in 45/45ACP,it’s unfired and will probably stay that way. It’s a 1997 3rd Generation and I’m well pleased with the fit and finish. I bought it for how it looks not how it shoots. I have other Colts to shoot and if I don’t want to shoot it that’s my prerogative. Pete

View attachment 736164
I must admit that it would be hard to fire that SWEET looking Colt SAA. Believe I wouldn't either if it was mine.

Reactions: 2horses

·
Registered
478 Posts
Since skummer has just said "Ruger" I will say what I was holding back on. It seems that Colt has, by its legendary status, recently attracted the attention of the more money than brains crew. Prices are beyond the law of diminishing returns. I am out for the time being and happy with what I have.

Ruger got in on the SA scene when Colt first left it, and made a very nice, robust Single Six, amongst others. I own several early examples and just bought another 3 screw in 6.5 barrel, high blue, pearl grips, box and manual. 90% condition. $580 Canadian. Ponder that. It'll never need a rebuild. Very well made by a company with a long history of making good guns to do the job. . I see myself doing more of that. But then I drive a Ram 1500, not a Land Rover.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I think some of you folks live on a different planet than I do. I paid $10.00 at Mcdonalds last night for a quarter pounder meal. The US dollar is fast becoming worthless. If you want a SAA or any other gun, you might as well pony up and pay the piper. They aint coming down in price.
The hamburger on McDonalds dollar menu (now $1,$2, $3) that was only a dollar a year ago is now $2.29. Milton Friedman (if you don;t know who he was you need to look him up) was once asked by a reporter where to invest your money in times of high inflation (I think this in the '70's). Milton reply - spend it now. If you lived through the '70's you'll appreciate these words of wisdom.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The hamburger on McDonalds dollar menu (now $1,$2, $3) that was only a dollar a year ago is now $2.29. Milton Friedman (if you don;t know who he was you need to look him up) was once asked by a reporter where to invest your money in times of high inflation (I think this in the '70's). Milton reply - spend it now. If you lived through the '70's you'll appreciate these words of wisdom.
I have no problem spending it now, it just won't be on $2,000.00+ SAAs.

There are other interesting guns out there; I just bought a nice 45 Colt New Service for $765.00 which I thought was a pretty decent deal, given the times we're in.

Best regards,

21 - 40 of 64 Posts