Colt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
I have no problem spending it now, it just won't be on $2,000.00+ SAAs.

There are other interesting guns out there; I just bought a nice 45 Colt New Service for $765.00 which I thought was a pretty decent deal, given the times we're in.

Best regards,
I find myself buying non SAA vintage Colts too. High condition revolvers from the turn of the century can still be a bargain and they are extremely well made. I'm starting to get interested in M1877-1878"s and Police Positives.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm not a Collector so to speak, well maybe a small one. I already achieved what I sat out to do and purchased a 1st gen Colt, then a new production Colt. Of course I have most of Cimarron's and Taylor and Company six gun offerings. I'm fortunate to learn from that first ammo shortage a few years back and am well stocked for a couple of lifetimes. Would I spend $2000 on a Colt that interests me? Yes I would. Especially since all this government hand outs happened, I buying what I want, more guns! AR's, M1A's, any military weaponry.

Reactions: 2horses

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've traded antique Colts and Winchesters for many years and prices for honest guns may occasionally plateau, but that they will eventually increase is a certainty. They're fun to own and shoot and in terms of the antique gun trade, those with whom I trade almost invariably, have the highest levels of character. Reputation is everything to all but the fast-buck artists but these are a problem in any firearm specialty.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
20 years ago when W. Keyes was Colts president, he got the retail price down to $1200 retail from over $1500. The distributors all had them and in shotgun news some of their wholesale prices were around 1K. Many more would buy Colt SAA if they were affordable and obtainable. It’s too bad that cowboy action shooting is primarily shot with Italian versions colts and winchesters with the exception of Marlin. So if it was done before, it can be done again. I speculate to the positive for future generations.
I too have scored some other older colts during these times too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I bought my first SAA, a NIB 2nd gen 45, as a young guy working in a pretty large LGS in about 1975. I think I paid about $250.00 for it, then had Jim Martin do an action job and make a set of one piece grips for it. It became one of my favorite shooters and I almost always had it with me when I was out shooting with my friends.

That $250.00 I spent was a bit of a stretch but not out of reach for me, but I don't see a young guy, or gal, today being in a position to pay nearly 10 times that amount today. Checking on one of the inflation calculators $125.00 in 1956, equals approximately the $250.00 I paid in 1975, and a little over $1,200.00 today, which would be a very reasonable price, not the nearly $2,000.00 MSRP for a new one with street prices of $2,500.00 or more.

The other thing that's happened due to the high prices is that almost nobody is shooting their new SAAs. I just don't understand the pleasure someone gets from paying several thousands of dollars for a new 3rd gen, then keeping it in a box in the back of the safe and only pulling it out a couple of times a year just to wipe it down and put it back for another 6 months. I'm tired of seeing posts of "Un-fired, un-cocked" 3rd gens, how about some imaged of that rarest of SAAs the well used 3rd gen.

Best regards,
I agree about shooting the guns, that's what they were made for, but to each his own. All three I own were unfired and two unturned when I got them, but that didn't last long, I like to shoot.

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,770 Posts
I agree about shooting the guns, that's what they were made for, but to each his own. All three I own were unfired and two unturned when I got them, but that didn't last long, I like to shoot.
That's why I buy 2 of everything. One to use and one to have. It's the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think some of you folks live on a different planet than I do. Everything has gone up in price! My 2019 Suburban was nearly $20K more than my 2014 was. My house has doubled in value (according to taxes). I paid $10.00 at Mcdonalds last night for a quarter pounder meal. The US dollar is fast becoming worthless. If you want a SAA or any other gun, you might as well pony up and pay the piper. They aint coming down in price.
Well said!!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm tired of seeing posts of "Un-fired, un-cocked" 3rd gens, how about some imaged of that rarest of SAAs the well used 3rd gen.

Best regards,
They are rare because they are all in my safe. Most of them with a bit of black powder residue still in them and a few that haven't been cleaned in, oh I am afraid to even ponder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought my first SAA, a NIB 2nd gen 45, as a young guy working in a pretty large LGS in about 1975. I think I paid about $250.00 for it, then had Jim Martin do an action job and make a set of one piece grips for it. It became one of my favorite shooters and I almost always had it with me when I was out shooting with my friends.

That $250.00 I spent was a bit of a stretch but not out of reach for me, but I don't see a young guy, or gal, today being in a position to pay nearly 10 times that amount today. Checking on one of the inflation calculators $125.00 in 1956, equals approximately the $250.00 I paid in 1975, and a little over $1,200.00 today, which would be a very reasonable price, not the nearly $2,000.00 MSRP for a new one with street prices of $2,500.00 or more.

The other thing that's happened due to the high prices is that almost nobody is shooting their new SAAs. I just don't understand the pleasure someone gets from paying several thousands of dollars for a new 3rd gen, then keeping it in a box in the back of the safe and only pulling it out a couple of times a year just to wipe it down and put it back for another 6 months. I'm tired of seeing posts of "Un-fired, un-cocked" 3rd gens, how about some imaged of that rarest of SAAs the well used 3rd gen.

Best regards,
IMG_E5057[1].JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
My "work" gun. 3rd gen., 3rd set of grips, replaced ejector tube. Born in 1977, I rescued it in 2007 from a lady who kept it behind her washing machine in a pillow case and in a leather holster. It has provided the coup de gras for several Elk and Mule Deer. Snakes this time of year, when you're looking for sheds.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
My "work" gun. 3rd gen., 3rd set of grips, replaced ejector tube. Born in 1977, I rescued it in 2007 from a lady who kept it behind her washing machine in a pillow case and in a leather holster. It has provided the coup de gras for several Elk and Mule Deer. Snakes this time of year, when you're looking for sheds.
Sorry about the pics... Is that used enough?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
So why did she keep in a pillow case in a leather holster? enquiring minds want to know.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are so many more gun owners in just the last several years, and just more people on our planet, that it is nothing more than supply and demand. And everyone has more disposable income than back in the day. When I was a kid only rich folks had 2 cars, pools, motorcycles, boats, jet skis, etc.....Now I’m betting prices will come down some in the future, but probably no more than 10%.
And why do folks who shoot all their guns get upset that some don’t? You don’t see the guys who don’t ranting about how folks need to stop shooting their guns!

·
Registered
415 Posts
IMO, first gen guns were the bargain a little over a year ago out of all the generations. Second generation guns took a jump about four years ago. I missed out of getting a "bargain", the only second gen I have is a Centennial 44-40 that I got AFTER prices started going up (although these brought more anyways, the best made of the 2nd gen commemoratives). Then third gen guns started to get threatened with ending of production and production even dropped to dozens a month for a little while. Third gens went up. Decent "working" first gen guns that had very little finish but were intact and maybe a few replacement wear parts could be had for $1,500 and up. Problem guns were about $1,200 and up depending on when they were made. Those same guns are over $2,500 now and knocking on $3,000 with maybe a couple hundred bucks between the problem guns and a bottom end functioning gun. Now add in that CZ owns Colt and I see a recipe where the SAA likely won't go down unless CZ makes a push to make the SAA a regular production item and relax the $2,200 entry fee on a new third gen gun (I know MSRP is lower, but that's not what they are selling for)

·
Registered
19 Posts
So why did she keep in a pillow case in a leather holster? enquiring minds want to know.:)
That sir, is a great question... She was a family friend and she asked me to clean it and a pre-64 model 94 that was stored basically the same way. I talked her into selling/trading me the SAA after she, at 76 yrs. of age, chased a San Juan County Sheriff Deputy off of her property with it. The Winchester went to her Grandson who sold it.
I call the Colt my "rescue gun". The rust is mostly worn off now.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hey at least you don't have to look into your gun safe and wonder if next month, next year you'll be told to surrender the lot to the police or guv buy back program. That's our reality in Canada. They won't address the gangs but legal owners are low hanging fruit.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If good 1st gen examples were $1500 last year , even 2,3, or four years ago -
I’d definitely have two or three .
Last one I bought was from a fellow member here, 1891 45 Colt that had been reblued without polishing and came with an Archives letter. All parts (except for a couple of screws) appeared to be original, down to the base pin with center holes. paid less than $1,500. It was three years ago, time has slipped past quickly.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts