Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I\'m looking at a Trooper .38 spl and need some advice...

I've run across a very sound Trooper (1963 vintage) in .38 spl...I'm wondering if the pre-mark III "Troopers" like this one have the good leaf spring action and what one is really worth. The action on this one feels great. The letoff is right and it's crisp and locks up tight. The gun has the normal holster wear on the sharp edges and muzzle but no rust or pitting (probably about 90%). It has a target hammer, but service grips (correctly numbered to the gun) although based on the wear to the side plates it looks like it had target stocks on it at one time. Thoughts? Comments? Advice? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: I\'m looking at a Trooper .38 spl and need some advice...

Yes the Pre-MkIII Troopers had the old Colt V-spring action. With someone who knows what they are doing, that revolver can be made to have a very sweet action.
One in your condition can be found for $250 to $300 around my way.
With the target hammer on the revolver I would imagine it came with the target stocks, but almost anything could be had from the factory.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 01-22-2005).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I'm looking for a good way to get into Colt DA revolvers w/o having to lay out $1000+ for the Python out the gate...I've been a S&W fan for many years but I handled an early Python recently and now I'm hooked on the Colts! This guy wants $260 for the Trooper...I forgot to mention that she is sporting a 4" barrel and has no box or papers. Any other suggestions on getting into the world of Colt DAs will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

One more question...are there any tests I can perform on this thing to make sure the action isn't worn beyond repair (for this one and for future purchases)?? How much cylinder travel/wobble can be fixed, etc.?...Thanks again for any thoughts.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts

The Trooper could be had in any combination of target hammer and stocks, and service hammer and stocks.

For some reason, the target hammer and service stocks seemed to be very popular.
If the grips are numbered to the frame, that's likely how it left the factory.

Probably, someone put target grips on for use, than removed them before selling the gun.

The old model Trooper is often known as a "poor man's Python" since it is basically the Python with a non-ribbed and lugged barrel, without the super blue job, and less polishing of the action.

If you can't afford a Python right now, the Trooper is a great stand-in.

Here's link to my instructions on how to inspect the timing of the older Colt action: http://www.unitedforums.com/forums/gunforums/cf/Forum7/HTML/000657.html

In addition to the timing checks, the cylinder should have no more than barely detectable cylinder end shake.
That is the cylinder should not move fore and aft in the frame when the cylinder is closed.

·
Registered
153 Posts

I just picked up the same gun for $215 in OH. The blue is worn but it is a very nice gun, well worth the price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the info. I'm new to these old Colts so I need all the help I can get. This one locks a tiny bit late (it clicks with a tiny bit of travel after the hammer is cocked) but there is no excessive wear on the cylinder...and the "end shake" is minimal if memory serves me. Also it locks up tight as a vault when the hammer starts to fall. Those are great concise instructions dfariswheel. I'll use them when I go to do the final inspection on this pistol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts