Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm brand new to this site and I'm looking for some clarification on a pistol I received from my grandfather about 15 years ago. I believe it was his pistol from WWII. I think it's a Remington Rand with a serial # of 868,xxx. Can someone please take a look at some of the pics and clarify exactly what I have?

Thanks for any and all the help.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Gun Trigger Firearm Gun accessory Starting pistol
Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

Attachments

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Simps72,

Good to have you aboard the Colt Forum. The guys here know this pistol very well and can help much more than I can! Also, to answer all your questions, they may need more photos of the the parts too.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Hi Simps72 and welcome to the Colt Forum.
It would appear that you have an Arsenal Rebuild with a type II Rem Rand slide and an Ithaca frame. I believe the serial number has a "1" in front of the 868.
RR did not produce a S/N of 868,000
The stocks with no reinforcement circles around the screw holes could be from an early RR pistol.

Hope this helps...others will add more info I am sure.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
As T. May noted, you have an early Ithaca with a Remington Rand slide. When they went through rebuild no attempt was made to keep the original parts together, so the receiver could end up with a slide from any one of the manufacturers. The stocks are early Keyes, and used on Ithaca, Remington Rand, and US&S.

It was originally shipped in mid 1943.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I believe that the serial number 868xxx of the frame is correct as shown for an Ithaca made in 1943. Ithaca had a range of numbers identical to Colt but the "FJA" (FRank J. Atwood) inspector's mark confirms that it is an Ithaca. The "RIA FK" is for Rock Island Armory Frank Krack inspector. Yes, there is value but not as much to a serious collector. However, even these arsenal re-builds are gaining acceptance because they are an honest representation of what was used in battle.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
Ordnance assigned the serial number blocks, but Colt somehow duplicated serial numbers with Remington Rand, Ithaca, and US&S. In addition to all the Colts in the duplicated serial number having the acceptance initials of Brig. General Guy H. Drewry, the serial numbers of the Colts in the duplicated serial number range were Italic where all the other manufacturers used Gothic.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Watch Gunbroker for awhile - look for actual sale prices on rebuilt M1911A1s, and you'll be better able to figure out what it should sell for, if that's what you want to do.

These were rebuilt after WWII - their later service time in present condition would be for Korea and Vietnam and the 'little wars' surrounding those larger ones - the arms racks were full of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.