Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gentlemen,
I am looking for good quality imitation ivory stocks to dress up a few Colts - 1911, 1903, and a First Series Woodsman. Does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience in this area? A favorite manufacturer or particular product that has served them well? Ultimately, I want to find a satisfying alternative to the cheap molded white plastic stocks without going all in on authentic ivory.

Please post your thoughts, recommendations, and pictures. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I picked up a pair of Buffalo Bone grips for my 1911 style pistol that look pretty good. I'll try and get pictures posted later. I believe they were only like $30.00 off of Ebay.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
At first, the idea of 'dressing-up' a Colt with synthetic ivory kind of turns me off. But thinking about it, there are some synthetics that seem almost as durable as ivory. I have pair of scales intended for a knife hilt that are about as tough and as close in color as can be to real ivory. Of a material like that I could be happy with repro-ivory on a Colt - it's at least as durable as walnut or old hard rubber grips (stocks) and looks close enough to ivory that only I would know. Right now I have half dozen or so with my ivorys I had made in Africa years ago, now used up - but next time I need an upgrade I'll look for the best I can find in repro.

I made a pair of grips of whale bone about 20 years ago. Bone of any kind makes great grips.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Bonded ivory is tougher than real I ivory, which can be kinda fragile, the bonded ivory has some ivory dust in the polymere and will age like ivory, I get mine from Boone and realy like em.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i am not much of a fan of plastic grips, but i do like the look of ivory. there are a few different natural options. here are a set of american holly (wood) grips on a ruger vaquero. they really look about exactly like ivory. very tight, subdued grain pattern, and varying shades of yellowish/white.

here is a set of early police positive grips i made from giraffe bone. it is available in a wide range of colors, and is very tough, durable, stable stuff. several folks are making knife handles and handgun grips from it. the only problem with it will be finding pieces big enough to make larger grips.

·
Registered
113 Posts
+1 for truivory.com and eaglegrips.com. Another +1 for giraffe bone, and a couple other really good alternatives not mentioned is smooth (no bark) sambar or elk stag from Scott Kolar at: skgrips.com or [email protected], and extremely durable man-made antique ivory paper micarta supplied by Sheffield. Good luck!

Shadow

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All good stuff! Lets see more pictures and hear more votes. Perhaps we can narrow the field. I am particularly impressed with the homemade stocks.

·
Premium Member
6,461 Posts
All good stuff! Lets see more pictures and hear more votes. Perhaps we can narrow the field. I am particularly impressed with the homemade stocks.
Check out some of the exotic stuff Boone Trading has. Maybe Mastadon Bone stocks or something? Check them out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boone has some incredible options available including unique materials and imitation ivory that allows scrimshaw art. Did you see the ivory stocks on the PreWar Woodsman? Outstanding!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nice Woodsman -- adjustable front sight even. Tough gun to find.

Hmmmm,.... Found these 2 locally without even looking. Just happened to run acrost 'em. Maybe 6-9 months apart, one in a shop and one on armslist. Of course I snapped them both up......

Originally built the corian grip panels for this pre-woodsman target, and recently swapped 'em to the Sport.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts