Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOOKING FOR a Colt Lightweight Commando Edition 1911 45 acp. Had one years ago and would like to replace just started looking, and have not found one so what better place to look than a Colt forum !! thanks for the help in advance
Chris

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

A Commando is a revolver, and none were ever made in "lightweight" configuration. A Commander is a semi-automatic pistol. A Commander is not a Model of 1911, the last of which was made in 1920. You will probably have better luck in finding what you seek if you use correct nomenclature.

All Commanders are "lightweight," whether they are "Pre-Marking" as such, or later guns actually stamped "Lightweight Commander" on their slides. The auction sites usually have Commanders listed for auction. They do not show up in the classifieds here too often because most sellers want the maximum return that auctions bring.

Good luck in your search. If you find one, be sure to tell us about it. While your search goes on, you are invited to participate in the discussions that go one here on a continuing basis.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
I should have checked GunBroker before I posted the above. There are sixteen (lightweight) Commanders currently up on GunBroker, varying in price from $750 to $4,000 (a very early example in a period correct, but probably not original, box, and much later literature).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no sir not to argue but google colt lightweight commando edition, it is a 1911 45 acp made in 1997. It is not the revolver or the lightweight Commander . this was the first pistol i ever purchased. not alot of info on it but trust me it is a 1911

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have seen all the commanders they are not what i am looking for stamped on the slide it will say lightweight commando edition

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Trust me, NO Model of 1911 was made after 1920, except for the recent reproductions. A Model of 1911 is a military pistol, NOT a commercial pistol. Yes, I know the "Blue Book" uses the term "1911" in connection with commercial pistols, but that does not make it correct. The common misuse of "1911" by some people in connection with every Model O Colt commercial pistol does not make it right either.

With your confusing nomenclature, I assumed incorrectly that you were confusing Commander and Commando. I apologize for that assumption. If you had mentioned that the model about which you inquire is one of the hundreds of Lew Horton special runs, I would have known that you were not confusing Commander and Commando. A Commando .45 is built with an Officers Model slide and a full-size Government Model frame. There were steel-frame and alloy-frame versions, with the alloy-frame models being designated "Lightweight Commando Edition."

Most Lew Horton special runs were in the neighborhood of 300 to 500 units. Therefore, for those who like such special runs, the pool of available units for sale is bound to be very small to non-existent. I have never seen one for sale, but I do not follow "new" guns much.

Sorry for my mistake in my first post. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Looks like a full-size alloy frame running an officer slide.... similar to the Defender Plus

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry judgecolt I should have stated it a 1911 style handgun, @y2kdon yes sir i was excited when i saw that listing but bummed out when it was already sold . thank you both for the help .if you come across one please email me @ [email protected] or send me a pm thanks again for youe time and help CHRIS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts