Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they are in business to make money, but , Geez, I don't own any clunkers. I took a 6" matte stainless Python to a dealer about 2 yrs. ago, 95% or better, they told me 60%, offered me $500 or so, then told me Colt had tried it 44 Mag. and the gun blew up. Gawd, I get tired of this stuff. I never trade anymore, I'll keep what I'm lucky to have. Do t k ow about the current market in other places in the country, but WV is horrible. I know the economy is not good, but there's always a market for quality arms, just not here.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I know some dealers just try to rob you, I run into the same and stay away from those places. The lower the economic level in the area, usually some of the worst places are, like WV or here in the blue ridge mountains of SW VA. I live "on the line" so I doubt I am very far from you. If you ever have any quality arms for sell (I mainly only collect US made), especially NIB or ANIB, give me a shout, I will treat you much better than them for sure. I usually just come with the cash and we could "work out the details" after that:).

·
Registered
184 Posts
I worked at a gun shop here in Indiana a few years ago it was the same. If you had it it was junk if they had it it was gold. Pretty much any handgun that came into their store they offered 225.00 no matter how nice or rare it was. The sad part were the amount of people who take the offer..

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I did an experiment one time at a local Gun Store.

They had a very much used and abused Rossie .38 Special Snub Nose Revolver, close to no blue left, sloppy mechanism, worn out, Stocks beat up and worn, and priced at $185.00.

I had one 'NIB and perfect, Box perfect, instructions in with it and so on, probably unfired.

So, I brought mine in, asking about a 'Trade'.

I said I did not want to carry mine, since it was too new looking and I would feel bad about wearing it out carrying it.

Gun Store Owner looks mine over, and, says he would give me $90.00 in Trade, against the one he had.

I kept a straight face, effected a pensive mood, and, said "Let me think about it..!"

Lol...

Eeeeeeesh!

What a bum!!

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Sounds like my brother in law, I tried to trade with him a couple of times... He thinks his stuff is way more valuable than mine. I don't trade either.
I have a really good friend whom is the same way. I can take him a gun and he literally gets out the magnifying glass sometimes (he not really even a condition collector either!!!). He finds a tiny spot on it, talks about it like its a complete DOG!!! Then if he gets it, its the greatest gun he owns lol. He has actually made me mad several times. I used to let him get away with it. A few times (I knew he wanted it badly) when he did this stuff, I just took the LNIB gun and said aw well I'll just take this piece of S*** home. He said no wait I still may want it and I would say no I cant let you buy such a piece of s***. I would make him sweat it:). We rarely have anymore dealings but talk very often. Some people are just programmed that if they talk about your stuff like a dog, they will get it cheaper, I guess its worked for them so many times its their normal way. Anymore I usually try to make them pay a little more than if they would have just kept their mouth shut:). If I decide to sell a gun, the ones that get a deal from me are the ones which talk about my gun like its a dream gun...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I remember I bought a NIB Ruger P95 for $330 after taxes from a LGS. Took it home. Never fired it. 1wk later I got slammed with a $500 legal bill I had no means to pay up. So, foolishly I drove all the way back to the LGS to offer the gun back. Now bare in mind, this was brand new still and has not been fired. They said they couldn't do a return, but would buy it back for for $230......WTF? I didn't even think of trading it cause I need the money. Of course it looked brand new "cause it was" but they have no way of knowing that. So it had to be bought as used. And because I had my stones in sling, I took the offer. I literally threw away $100. I was much more foolish in my spending habits back then...... But the older I get, the more I understand why they did it. I mean I'm not defending them, but as a whole, if they gave people what its worth, or near what its worth, they wouldn't make much money. And they're in that business to make money, not earn gold stars by being chummy with their offers. It sucks, but its the truth. Gun Shops are the only business I've encountered, where someone typically less intelligent than you, can lowball, insult, and screw you out of a deal, just so they can make a profit. Well maybe a lawyer, is at the top of their game, but again, its a business. And their's plenty of idiots out there that will sadly support that.

Its hard to see sometimes, where the line of ripping you off vs actually making a fair offer is. Best advice, is to choose wisely the first time you buy something. But what do I know, I've probably traded off the last 40 or so handguns I've owned for other handguns.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I remember I bought a NIB Ruger P95 for $330 after taxes from a LGS. Took it home. Never fired it. 1wk later I got slammed with a $500 legal bill I had no means to pay up. So, foolishly I drove all the way back to the LGS to offer the gun back. Now bare in mind, this was brand new still and has not been fired. They said they couldn't do a return, but would buy it back for for $230......WTF? I didn't even think of trading it cause I need the money. Of course it looked brand new "cause it was" but they have no way of knowing that. So it had to be bought as used. And because I had my stones in sling, I took the offer. I literally threw away $100. I was much more foolish in my spending habits back then...... But the older I get, the more I understand why they did it. I mean I'm not defending them, but as a whole, if they gave people what its worth, or near what its worth, they wouldn't make much money. And they're in that business to make money, not earn gold stars by being chummy with their offers. It sucks, but its the truth. Gun Shops are the only business I've encountered, where someone typically less intelligent than you, can lowball, insult, and screw you out of a deal, just so they can make a profit. Well maybe a lawyer, is at the top of their game, but again, its a business. And their's plenty of idiots out there that will sadly support that. Its hard to see sometimes, where the line of ripping you off vs actually making a fair offer is. Best advice, is to choose wisely the first time you buy something. But what do I know, I've probably traded off the last 40 or so handguns I've owned for other handguns.
Very similar business model to a car dealership when you are trading in a car for a new car purchase.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
I have a really good friend whom is the same way. I can take him a gun and he literally gets out the magnifying glass sometimes (he not really even a condition collector either!!!). He finds a tiny spot on it, talks about it like its a complete DOG!!! Then if he gets it, its the greatest gun he owns lol. He has actually made me mad several times. I used to let him get away with it. A few times (I knew he wanted it badly) when he did this stuff, I just took the LNIB gun and said aw well I'll just take this piece of S*** home. He said no wait I still may want it and I would say no I cant let you buy such a piece of s***. I would make him sweat it:). We rarely have anymore dealings but talk very often. Some people are just programmed that if they talk about your stuff like a dog, they will get it cheaper, I guess its worked for them so many times its their normal way. Anymore I usually try to make them pay a little more than if they would have just kept their mouth shut:). If I decide to sell a gun, the ones that get a deal from me are the ones which talk about my gun like its a dream gun...
Gus, you are more tolerant than I am.

As far as business deals with guns, if a dealer tries that crap with me, I let them know I'm not a fool and then I leave. I don't look back. That doesn't mean I'm not aware that a firearms dealer has to have some room with a purchase price to make a profit - that's different and I understand it. It's also the reason I don't sell guns to dealers. Like them, I want to make as much money as I can reasonably and fairly make - unless I feel like being nice to a friend.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
big gus. Thanks for the reply, don't know if you're into AR's, but I have a 2012 6920, NIB, carry handle, 2, 20 rd. mags, chamber brush and sling. Take $1000 for it, 1600 for the Python
I replied to your PM and am definitely interested in them. Thank You for the offer!

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Chief if that python is the sts one I will take it.
Where's the gun etiquette at???
I thought I was the only one on here with the name big_gus. :)

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Go for it gus, I was just trying to keep him from getting reamed by walking into Cabelas with it. No harm intended, just hadn't seen you reply. I have no issue with bowing out, I just don't want someone to get reamed

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I've tried to avoid trading back or selling to a LGS or someone I know from the gun shows but occasionally it's happened. Fortunately the few times I've done it I went in with my homework done, and knew my bottom line. If they couldn't meet it I walk away. I'll wait, drop a few hints to friends and eventually it comes together somewhere else. The trick is never HAVING to sell that day or immediately. I understand life throws us all curves but I protect the firearms and would rather sell off something else I'm not using or needing if it comes to that.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Go for it gus, I was just trying to keep him from getting reamed by walking into Cabelas with it. No harm intended, just hadn't seen you reply. I have no issue with bowing out, I just don't want someone to get reamed
No problem, I actually had to be off line and do something for a bit before I saw the guns offered. I had an issue in the classifieds a couple times which was down right dirty imo (people jumping in front of me after I had the first I'll take it in, not you of course), which I never do, so I had to say something. One actually knocked me out of a gun I wanted. He can sell the gun to whomever he chooses though of course. I am actually interested in both guns but I would have to see them. I usually don't buy anything sight unseen. I'm afraid this thread is in danger of being locked out since classifieds is for selling, probably best off to do PM's.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have not traded much at the LGS in many years here in Wisconsin.
The last deal was a WASR AK I had picked up from a kid who needed cash for a car.
This was the AK with a 10 round mag. I thought it would be east to dremel out for a real mag.
The more I thought about it , just one slip and I would have a marred up piece of junk.
So I took it to my LGS. I stop in often and point folks there for deals.So we are on good terms.
He had a S&W 36 orig. grips and in great shape. He wanted $450 for it. So I offered him an even trade.
I was a bit surprised he even picked up the back ground check fee.
The last time I tried to sell outright a Taurus 94 snub .22 he was not interested in the little 9 shot. So it is on here.
I think the small shops try and keep the customers happy. Larger ones are in it for the $200 profit on a used gun.
The fellow I mentioned marks them up a bit but not crazy. Like you say he has bills too.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I have not traded much at the LGS in many years here in Wisconsin.
The last deal was a WASR AK I had picked up from a kid who needed cash for a car.
This was the AK with a 10 round mag. I thought it would be east to dremel out for a real mag.
The more I thought about it , just one slip and I would have a marred up piece of junk.
So I took it to my LGS. I stop in often and point folks there for deals.So we are on good terms.
He had a S&W 36 orig. grips and in great shape. He wanted $450 for it. So I offered him an even trade.
I was a bit surprised he even picked up the back ground check fee.
The last time I tried to sell outright a Taurus 94 snub .22 he was not interested in the little 9 shot. So it is on here.
I think the small shops try and keep the customers happy. Larger ones are in it for the $200 profit on a used gun.
The fellow I mentioned marks them up a bit but not crazy. Like you say he has bills too.
I see it both sides also. I think a shop has to make $100-$200 on a nice used gun to stay in business (especially the small "Mom and Pop" ones or actually most of the time just "Pops":)) and make a living or a minimum of 10% on a new gun. The days of buying a gun $25 over cost are long gone and is jsut the way is has to be imo... The ones I don't like is the ones like that shop offering chief $500 for his STS Python. They were trying to steal his gun and adding insult to injury talking it down and talking about how the gun couldn't hold up to 44 magnum lol???

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I was just trying to keep him from getting reamed by walking into Cabelas with it. /QUOTE]

About 6 years ago I went to a Cabelas Gun Library wanting to sell four guns. These were all high condition hard to find firearms. I wanted the money for Colt purchases. I figured I'd get raked over a little bit on the price but I wanted the money. The price I was offered was so low I just left and went to another Cabelas Gun Library about 85 miles away and sold the same four guns for $400 more. The last Gun Library sold all four guns within a month. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.