Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For me it would be a 1st Gen gun, caliber on the side of the barrel. If a 4 3/4" gun, a two line address roll mark. And arguably not for every one, both the tiny V notch sights and cross pin frame. Of course I'd want a hand checkered and bordered hammer.

Or a copy of that same gun in modern steel and some small internal improvement Colt had stopped producing that particular gun by 1929. And as far as I know only made a very small run (125 guns) of V notch and cross pin frames since 1929. Those 125 gusn were made in 1998, 5.5" barrels, and 45s. USFA made something very similar as well or that style frame could be special ordered.

Of course I want it perfectly timed, a nice crisp 3# or under trigger, and shoot my lead, smokeless handloads @ point of aim point of impact. Ivory is good, Giraffe bone will work or presentation one piece walnut for grips. I like bright nice and blue and cased. But if it is a choice of just one, gotta be nice mellow case colors and carbona blue.

·
Registered
417 Posts
For myself as a shooter , do appreciate the cross pin frame . The rest I'm still learning . One more thing that is nice is free , touch on that later .

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I pretty much agree with Cozmo's features, except I don't do Ivory or bone, and prefer eagleless hard rubber (not current plastic) grips/stocks.

Best regards,

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have to show my ignorance on this matter but that's ok , I have enough to spare. When you have a hand checkered hammer is the hammer checkered from blank or checkered over stamped , if that is the way the regulars are checkered ? Thanks

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Some guy said:
... When you have a hand checkered hammer is the hammer checkered from blank or checkered over stamped , if that is the way the regulars are checkered ?
Good question. You cut off the knurling on the hammer and recontour as needed prior to checkering in what ever pattern you'd like.

I do my own hammers now but they are not cut with a full border. This one was done at 50 lpi. as a test piece on a gun I am using as a mule for mods. 50 lpi is very grippy, a little fragile but less likely to poke you as well. I also blended the hammer to better fit the top of the frame prior to color case. Bought the gun as a .45 rust bucket off GB a month or so back for $800. Frame was fine. Back strap, trigger guard, grips, ejector rod housing and barrel were not. So I made it a 44 Special while sorting it out.

IMG_4773 (2).jpg

IMG_4770 (2).jpg

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks , that is giving me a few ideas . And some here wonder why worry about a pressed in bushing . Pretty sure it's the sport and hobby , anybody can drive a 67 VW bug with the wrong tail lights, they work , but some choose not to.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
cjwils said:
In order to be perfect, a fixed sight gun needs to hit the bullseye with commercially available ammo. I have never found a fixed sight Colt, let alone any SAA, that does that
DSC03725.jpg

And I won't own one that doesn't. Most can be dialed in to do just that.

DSC00930 (2).jpg

While I could be shooting commercial ammo I don't. I can make better ammo myself and do it for a good deal less money. But it doesn't take custom ammo to get a SAA style gun to shoot exceptionally well, just a well set up gun.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts