Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the 2020 Python. I have never seen the gun boards (not just this one) this busy with any firearm.

Have you? And what firearm was it?

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
I will have to admit that I don't recall an incredible amount of interest in any gun that has come out for as far back as I can remember. The only thing that comes to mind of any interest is the full auto BB gun which the gun shop got recently, which I dreamed about as a kid.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I will have to admit that I don't recall an incredible amount of interest in any gun that has come out for as far back as I can remember. The only thing that comes to mind of any interest is the full auto BB gun which the gun shop got recently, which I dreamed about as a kid.
I've been thinking about one of those also.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
IDK That Sig 365 was all over the place when it hit the market

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I always wanted one of those fullauto Freon-powdered BB guns they advertised in American Rifleman and others. Dad kind of grinned...Mom was a hard NO!

The only guns I can think of that might come close to current Python-fever are maybe the Sig 365 and the first Glock 17.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Before the internet though, The Dirty Harry inspired S&W Model 29. You could not touch one of those for anywhere near retail for years and years. There were a few large dealers at the time that bought direct from S&W (Because they were Law Enforcement dealers too) and because of this had to sell the few that they would get for retail. There were hundreds of people on call lists with those dealers to get them as they trickled in. It was the craziest, not just interest that I have ever seen for a firearm.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yeah, I bided my time on getting a "29", late 70's a shop had a used 6.5" blue I was able to pick up for under $300.00.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Model 29s became very scarce once "Dirty Harry" hit the theaters. It didn't take too long for buyers who didn't know a thing about .44 Special's ability to be used in a .44 Magnum to realize they couldn't handle the gun with full magnum rounds. Some gun stores then had a number of used Model 29 revolvers for sale with maybe on cylinder of ammunition shot through them.

Reactions: krag96 and Mustango

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
It’s really hard to have a direct comparison before the internet and after the internet.
Literally thousands and thousands of people can gain the information nearly at once now. I know the view count is duplicated With re-visits, but still, the main 2020 python thread has gotten viewed an amazing amount.
Prior to internet, it certainly had to take much much longer to get the information and even learn about a new gun model . I could venture to say that if this python was prior internet today, I wouldn’t even know about it at this moment and I guess it would have to be reading a gun magazine or seeing some so of literature advertisement, or word of mouth in the gun shop to eventually find out. .
Instead, with internet, on Jan 1st, thousands of people were after the python all at once. That makes it really hard to anticipate stock and then have a chance to catch up production.
So my takeaway from all that was first off, guns that were wildfire popular (dirty Harry .. all that) shows how insanely popular it really was. Secondly, between about 2008 to 2011 buying guns on the internet became much more prevelant. After about 2011 to today would be a more fair comparison , but even still it’s a tough thing to say.
I think it’s fair to say that amongst Colt fans and Colt models, this new python has taken the crown for mass interest.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Yes, the Glock G42 & G43 got far more. Most I have seen.

Reactions: krag96

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I remember, of all things, a lot of interest/talk about that 22 magnum semi auto pistol that came out....maybe 5 or 6 years ago?? Keltec. Held 30 rounds I believe.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Yeah, I bided my time on getting a "29", late 70's a shop had a used 6.5" blue I was able to pick up for under $300.00.
Yep, bought my 8&3/8” Model 29 used about 30 years ago for $285. Sometimes it pays to wait until the initial hype wears down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts