Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an Indiana Bicentennial Scout 22 thats NIB. Has the original wood box and does not appear to have been fired. There are no turn marks on the cylinder. The bicentennial box is dated 1766 to 1966. The revolver has pearl Colt medallion grips and the metal work is nickel or stainless and gold plated. The cylinder is solid with no indents. Asking price is $499.00. I'm wondering if this is a rare gun and if the price is in line with what one would expect to pay. I've checked the auction sites and don't see much like this. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
drew,in my experience nearly all commemrative`s are poor investments. you can not shoot them and they must be absolutly nib will box and papers to EVEN approach value of a standard production gun in like condition. in simple terms a nib 1966 comm. will bring almost as much as an 1966 used scout in 95%.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
icdux1 -- Thanks for the quick reply. The gun just appeared in my local gun shop a couple of days ago. Based on your info I'm not gonna go for it. I have become somewhat addicted to Colt Revolvers recently and the best deals I've found seem to be in local shops. Appears the internet drives the prices much higher since there is such a big and knowledgeable audiance. I'm probably gonna look for an excellent condition SAA that I can shoot. I'm leaning toward that as a next gun or perhaps a Police Special. Anyway, I'll steer clear of the commemoratives. Thanks again! Drew

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
bubba,ironically,you can pick up some Commemoratives,cheaper than regular models.

I know,for example,that the Colt SAA NRA Commemorative model was sold in huge quanities,and even unfired specimens were NOT appreciating in value,as compared to NON commemorative Colt SAAs made in that time frame. So,I knew a couple of SASS shooters who got them cheaper,than a comparable SAA.

Colt really overdid the Scout commemoratives, IMO,and I feel that this,in part,is what has raised the price level of the "regular" Scout/Peacemaker series,to a level I never thought it would get to as quickly.Always wanted to see an "accurate" census of "regular Scouts" versus Commems.

As has been said,once a commem. has been fired,it looses its "commemorative value",and you can get these guns very cheaply(relatively),assuming the seller is NOT a jerk.

Bud

·
Registered
115 Posts
$499 is too much. I sold one of these same Indiana commemoratives a few years for $300 NIB and felt like I was lucky to get rid it for what I had in it and I had owned it for several years. Colt made WAY too many of the commemoratives, particularly the Scouts.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but here it goes:
icdux1: You wrote you can't shoot a commemorative gun. Is that because a commemorative technically can't be fired or because of the affect it has on it's value?

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
gunsmoke, sorry i confused you. yes they are functional{will shoot} but shooting them reduces their value greatly.unlike a regular production gun that given careful use will still retain or grow in value. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
254 Posts
they made about 3000 of the Ind commemoratives, I would pay $450 for one nib, but no more, see if he will come down, I believe like all unfired colts, you will see a profit down the road, but you will have to be patient. I have been looking for an Ind for awhile, found one for $650 and passed, and one for $400 with a poor box, and freakles on the barrel, also passed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kennedy, check your private messages. I sent you the name, number and address of the shop I saw the Indiana gun in. I'm not gonna go for it so I'd rather see it go to someone from Indiana who wants one. Anyway, if your interested, it's probably still there....It's on consignment so maybe they'll deal....good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts