Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see we often have a post about various proof marks, the who and the where, and since a friend had these at his gun shop archives I made a copy, hoping some find them interesting and helpful.

I took pictures hoping when you click on them they will come up large and another click on the + will give more enlargement. If true and authentic or no we will have to depend on Johnny P, Scott G, and others.

Swamprat and 1911 spec sheets 001.JPG ** Swamprat and 1911 spec sheets 004.JPG ** Swamprat and 1911 spec sheets 006.JPG ** Swamprat and 1911 spec sheets 008.JPG

Hope they come to good use.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Just glancing through the markings the one that jumps out is the EB in the Rock Island Arsenal marking. Text indicates Ernest Blind, but this was Elmer Bjerke who was the foreman in charge of small arms inspection at RIA from 1947 to 1958. I believe this mistake came from copying "facts" from another source that was also incorrect.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just glancing through the markings the one that jumps out is the EB in the Rock Island Arsenal marking. Text indicates Ernest Blind, but this was Elmer Bjerke who was the foreman in charge of small arms inspection at RIA from 1947 to 1958. I believe this mistake came from copying "facts" from another source that was also incorrect.
Are all 6 of those repair arsenals legit Johnny P ?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The second and third photos are pages copied out of Clawson's Collector's Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols.
I only saw these individual sheets but I'll go back to the shop and see if he does have the Clawson book. He has been in business a long time and has a fantastic collection of gun books. I have spent many hours going through some of the out of print books.
He may very well have the Clawson, as I know he has a 1943 Ithaca.

When I offer to buy some of them he always grins and says "get in line I'll put you on the list". The last one was a Smith & Wesson book autographed to him personally by Mr Roy Jinks at an Atlanta expo many years ago.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The second and third photos are pages copied out of Clawson's Collector's Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols.
I only saw these individual sheets but I'll go back to the shop and see if he does have the Clawson book. He has been in business a long time and has a fantastic collection of gun books. I have spent many hours going through some of the out of print books.
He may very well have the Clawson, as I know he has a 1943-44' Ithaca squirreled away.

When I offer to buy some of them he always grins and says "get in line I'll put you on the list". The last one was a Smith & Wesson book autographed to him personally by Mr Roy Jinks at an Atlanta expo many years ago.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Are all 6 of those repair arsenals legit Johnny P ?

They are legit, but I have never seen some of them on a 1911/1911A1. The Raritan mark shows up most frequently on long guns, and the RA is followed by the initial of the person in charge of inspection, as RA-P. Same on the San Antonio Arsenal, as SAA-C. Recently a Letterkenny Army Depot mark showed up on a pistol rebuild as LEAD, which I had only seen previously on long guns. Another rebuild mark that shows up rarely is OG for Ogden Arsenal.

Occasionally you will find otherwise all original pistols with an arsenal mark on them. There was a batch of Colts in the 1.10 million range (think that is correct range) that have RIA markings, but are totally original.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
...Occasionally you will find otherwise all original pistols with an arsenal mark on them. There was a batch of Colts in the 1.10 million range (think that is correct range) that have RIA markings, but are totally original.
There were also Remington Rand and Ithaca pistols produced about the same time with the FK, Flaming Bomb and RIA markings, too. But like the Colts, they are rarely seen.

Added: The markings were not applied when produced, but when the pistols went through RIA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts