Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this listed for a local auction that's coming up. Listing has it as a 1917 Colt 45 Army. Serial number is in the 161,xxx range. Opinions on authenticity and value would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Richard; certainly looks like a 1917,and their serial numbers began around 149k,so # is in correct range.

Gun appears to have been parkerized,hopefully by one of the Govt. arsenals(A.A.-Augusta(GA)Arsenal did many in the 20's-30's),and there may be an A.A.refinish mark on it,among other markings. Stocks should be plain walnut,not what appears to be plastic on it now(Franzite brand?).

Hopefully you will have some "preview time" the day prior to auction to examine gun in person,and ask some more questions as to markings etc. Should say U.S. Army on butt bottom and United States Property under the bbl. by ejector rod: some have had their U.S. markings spuriously ground off!

Hard to give a definate answer from a photo.

Best of Luck,

Bud

·
Administrator
7,303 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hard to give a definate answer from a photo.
Bud

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed !

I assume those grips are plastic ? We'll also figure non-arsenal marked refinish with good non-buffed markings and a vg bore . Probably bring $400-450 tops here in Ohio . It's a shooter based on the limited info provided .

They are fun shooters though /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the responses. It looks like just the hint of a folded lanyard ring under the butt. I knew the grips were after market but didn't have a clue regarding the finish as what pictures I've found on the net don't have that black appearance. Can you use modern full moon clips in these? Should the hammer and trigger be different in appearance or the same?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
All .45 moon clips work well in my 1917. The hammer was originally finished bright on the sides and the trigger was blued.

You would certainly enjoy that revolver $400 dollars worth. They are very satisfactory to shoot. The very few I saw at the Dallas Market Hall gun show were all higher than that including a couple of parkerized 1917's. Even a ruined, poorly nickeled 1917 had a $600 tag on it. Of course it hadn't been purchased either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts