Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt SAA that has been re-barreled and I am trying to get an apx. date as to when this was done.
I know that between 1947 and 1955 Colt's barrel address marking was " Colt's Manufacturing Company" which is the marking on my barrel.
In 1955 they reverted to "Colt's Patent Fire Arms Company".
In 1989 Colt was renamed "Colt,s Manufacturing Company, INC."
What I would like to know is, how did Colt mark the address on barrels after 1989 ? Did it include "Inc." ?
In other words, was my barrel manufactured between 1947 and 1955 or is it post 1989 ??

Thanks

·
Registered
909 Posts
Even though the company changed its name slightly due to ownership changes a couple of times in that era, I believe the rollmarks stayed the same - COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.

Maybe someone with access to more '80's - '90's Colts could correct me.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Only Colt I have from the 80's(1981),a New Frontier 44/40 and .44 Spl. 4 3/4" reads; COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. Co_ HARTFORD CT. U.S.A. Keep in mind that the 3rd Generation Guns,starting in 1976,had barrels with different threads,and won't fit a 1st or 2nd Generation gun. Bud

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the "roll marks" did change.

As I said, My gun is 1st gen. but has 2gen barrel. Maybe I just answered my own Question as 1947 to 1955 would be pre 2nd Gen.
Can someone who has a 2nd generation tell me how the address is marked on barrel

·
Registered
3 Posts
My third generation Detective Special was made in 1995. It is marked "COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CONN. U.S.A." on the barrel. So is the first generation DS I have, which according to Colt was made in 1957.

Miao, Cat

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys. I guess then that my barrel was manufactured between 1947 and 1955.
It reads:
COLT'S MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
JoeWill421; Colt did make some barrels and cylinders during the 1947-55 period you mentioned,for replacements for older SAAs(as well as doing factory rebuilding/refinishing-and)-building some "new guns' that are rare,and called "Post War Pre war Models".I think only .45 Colt and .38 Special bbls./cylinders were turned out .47'-55'. Christy Gun Works,in Calif.,also did a thriving business rebuilding and customizing SAAs in that time period,but I think they offered a wider choice of calibers in their newly mfg. bbls. and cyls.(Christy parts will sometimes show up on eBay?. Bud

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The 2 2nd Gens. I have are marked the same as the N.Frontier 3rd gen. There WAS a change in the thickness/spacing of letters during the 2nd gen. but it is difficult to explain,as it is very subtle. Bud

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Bud, The cylinder in my SAA does have the Rampant-Colt trademark on rear of cylinder between chambers. Do you know if this trademark was present on the 1947 to 1955 cylinders ?
It is very likly that this gun was in another caliber and converted to .45, that being the reason for new barrel & cylinder, but I have no way of knowing except a Colt letter. I can't see paying $150. just to satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot for the information. I have asked many "collectors" at gun shows about these marking and got all types of answers. Thanks to all on this forum for giving me some good info.
I have only one more question: Is there any markings that Colt used to indicate a "factory rebuild" ??
Joe

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Joe Will; I just dug my 1956 S.A.A. out of the vault to check the cylinder for you. It DOES have the "Rampant Colt" on the face of cylinder. It was one of the first 1000 made,5 1/2" bbl. .38 special.(the first 2nd Gens. were only in .45 Colt and .38 special,and used some left over parts from even the late pre wars,such as the hammer on mine). So,I would say,that you have a replacement cylinder from the 47-55 era.

On another question,there could also be a work date on the grip frame,under the grips,on usually left side. Bob mentioned removing the trigger guard and IF you have a proper fitting screwdriver,there is no problem doing this,as NO parts will "fall out". Also,Colt used to mark an amperstand(&),the and sign on the trigger guard.

There were many SAAs rebuilt in the immediate post war period,usually into .38 Special(as a modern,easy to shoot caliber) and .45 Colt(for the traditionalists,who wanted "power"). As a result many .41s,38/40s and 44/40s,were converted using the .38 and .45 bbls. and cyls.(Interesting,that these calibers,well not the .41,have made a "comeback.). Looking through a 51 year old "Hollywood Gun Shop",Hy Hunter,they had many rebuilt .38s and ,45s for sale. Hope this helps. Bud

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Bud, as you know, every bit of infomation helps in something like this.
I did remove the trigger guard within 1 hour of reading the info. from Bob Best.
What I found was three numbers, a 5 to the left of the front screw hole and 02 on the right. As these numbers are of the exact same type as the numbers in the serial number I suspect they are part numbers. Other than these numbers there are no other markings nor are there any markings on the grip frame.
You stated "NO PARTS WILL FALL OUT". Got to tell you that was the first thing I thought about. Luckly I had an old American Rifleman from Aug. 1958 that detailed taking down the SAA.
It also has a late hammer which is blued on top but no finish on sides.
The gun still has it's original hard rubber grips. An early owner has scratched his initials and the date May 13 08 on the inside of one of the grips. The gun was originally mfg in 1906.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts