Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me some basic information on this Colt Official Police in .22 LR.Such as a manufacture date.
I saw it in a store the other day and had to have it. .22 revolvers are my weakness.
I mainly have Smiths, but decided this would be my first Colt. I would grade it at 98%, has slight blueing wear spot at one side of the muzzle, and a rub mark down the back of the backstrap but otherwise appears excellent.
It has a four digit serial #2XXX, Patent dates an top of the barrel, the chambers are not recessed, and the grips appear to be walnut.
It appears to have the original blueing and none of the screws appear to have been tampered with.

Any information would be appreciated
PC945

[This message has been edited by PC945 (edited 01-01-2005).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Super find,PC945,and welcome to the Forum! Your Colt is a beauty and was either made in 1930(first year for the model),or 1931,if the serial # is above 2,200. Great shape for a 3/4 century old gun,and some of these were used by police forces as a low cost trainer/practice piece for their issue .38 special O.Polices,and often shore much blue wear. My 2 O.Polices in .22,a 4" and 6", are post 1945 and are both great shooters. If you decide to shoot it,you probably know from being a .22 lover,that certain guns like certain brands of ammo. With the fixed sights,it will be "trial and error",but a lot of fun! Enjoy! Bud

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
PC945, welcome to the forum. Your first Colt is one of my favorites. I too like the full-size guns in .22 rimfire.

I see you are from Nebraska. Where in Nebraska? I am from Western Iowa, and would like to know in which store you found this beautiful Colt. Old Fontenelle in Omaha used to have some collectable guns in stock, but I have not been in there in 15 years, and it may now be closed.

I love these early ones with the non-recessed chambers.

I have mainly Colts, but have a lot of Smiths that are nice too.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Does that model really date to 1930? I ask because I have an Officers Model .22 that dates to 1930 which is the first year they were made.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Official Police came out in 1930,starting with #1. 1931 starts with #2200,so since last 3 numbers are "x,s",its either 1930 or 1931. No real problem with making the fixed sighted .22 O.P. There was a depression going on and the O.P. was a help to police training budgets. Bud

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lonewolf,
Thank you for the information.By the serial # it looks like a 1931 model.I appreciate you taking the time to give me some background on these guns.

judgecolt,
I live in SE Nebraska. I was walking thru the Scheels store in Lincoln. Whenever I get up there I always snoop thru the used guns they have. You never know what they are going to get on trade.

I usually am looking for older Smith revolvers, but this colt caught my eye. Not knowing anything about them I went solely on the fact that I knew it was old, in great shape, and that it was a quality gun with aspects you don't see anymore on new ones.(the fact it was a .22 sealed the deal)
There is just a quality about older revolvers that the new ones don't posess.

I look foreword to participating in this forum as I believe this "Colt" bug is just getting started.

Mike

[This message has been edited by PC945 (edited 01-02-2005).]

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
Ah, the Scheels "Collector Room!" I am always amazed at what they have in the "Collector Room," but the prices are usually amazing as well. Over the years, I have seen two or three that were not much over market, and just before Christmas saw a Left-Hand Browning Medalist in the Des Moines Scheels "Collector Room" that was fairly reasonable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, this one was in the blue collar display cases.
The guns in the "Collector Room" are out of my league, I only cruise thru there about once a year to window shop.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts