Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first posting on the Colt forum. My old love of some 50 years is collecting the variations of the Old Model Pocket Pistol of 1848-49. (My current love is the collection of large frame (N) pre-war Smith and Wessons and I frequent the Smith forum.)

I have searched back 60 days in the Colt Forum and find no reference to the older percussion Colts. Is this the only Colt Forum or is there one that is more appropriate for Sam'l's early models?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hi Bob,its Bud("lonewolf")from the S&W Forum. Welcome to this forum too. While I don't collect percussion pieces,I do have a few 1st Gen.SAAs & Bisley "shooters". Ive wondered the same thing about the "older Colts" on this forum. At the risk of irritating some cellophane skinned folks,I think that Colt lovers tend to be in TWO distinct groups versus S&Ws. Have no idea if there is a forum for the earlier Colts,but as you've seen here,its all lumped into "Revolvers". My only experience with the Pocket Model Colts you mentioned,was when a fellow teacher & his wife bought at an antique dealers,what they thought to be "Washington Irvings Colt"(the author,"Ichabod Crane" etc.). Even I knew,from one look that it wasnt an 1849 Colt,and a trip to Flaydermans,showed that it had been MADE by "W.Irving in N.Y.C." not Colt!! Since my friend hadnt paid too much for it,and dealer hadnt misrepresented the piece, we had a good laugh,and it was a nice gift for his father-in -law.
Quite an interesting "sociological" study between Colt & S&W collectors. S&W seems more "populist" and as you know,the earliest hinged frames & top breaks are discussed on the other forum. I suspect that there is probably a "chat room/forum" on percussion Colts tied in with the Colt Collectors Assoc. New Service Colts are what rekindled my serious gun interest again about 20 years ago,but they are not discussed with the regularity of the pre war N frames on the S&W Forum. Anyway,welcome,and best of luck finding a site. Bud

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bud,
Thanks for your reply. Your assessment is the same as mine.

I began collecting the Pocket Models when I was in high school in west Texas. Then I bought nice ones for under $25 and a pristine cased set might set you back close to $100. I stopped collecting when I went to college because I didn't have an extra $25. When I got back into them in the late '70's, the Pocket Model Colts with any finish at all were bringing about what a Registered Magnum brings now. For whatever reason, my fascination with Colts lies in the percussion models and my love of Smiths is in the pre-war cartridge models. I would like to find a Colt forum with the variety of interests, friendliness and knowledge that the Smith Forum has.

Re: Washington Irving. I now live in Irving, TX. The commonly accepted theory of the origin of the City's name is that the wife of one of the first settlers here (an old railroad stop between Ft. Worth and Dallas) was enamored with Mr. Irving and persuaded her husband to name the rail stop after him. Sounds sorta far fetched but I guess it works as well as any.

Re: SAA's. Both of my grandfathers were early settlers in Texas in the 1800's. I am fortunate to have both of their 1st gen. 4 3/4" SAA's My paternal GF's is a .45 with original Ivories and my maternal GF's is a .38/40. I carried and shot them both as a child growing up on a ranch in west Texas. Now they are safe queens.

Regards,
Bob

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
Sorry there doesn't seem to be more interest in the black powder Colt's here.

Seems most people on this forum are more interested in the post-1900 revolvers.

People on the other big forums are interested in the 1911 auto.

To find people into the muzzle-loader Colt's, you might try the Cowboy or muzzle-loader forums.

I'm primarily into the post-1950's double action revolvers, but I did once own a replica Third Model Dragoon.

This left something to be desired, so I soon bought one of the, then new, Second Gen Colt Third Models.

I enjoyed shooting the monster, but was concerned about finish wear from the black powder. When a friend asked to buy it, I stupidly sold it to him.

I'd built a pair of one-piece Ivory Micarta grips, and it was gorgeous.

NOBODY does color case hardening or bluing like Colt.

Now, I'd really like to have it back just as a "nice Colt to have", but prices on them are sky high.

I'd always felt the black powder revolvers were underpowered. NO problems power-wise with the Dragoon.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hey Bob: Glad you found your way over here. You will note that there are a number of S+W fans here (mostly wearing fake beards and disguises). Bud and DFaris are dead right about the lack of pre-double action Colt talk here. I don't think there is a corrollary Colt Collectors Association site as there is with the SWCA. I am in the CCA as well and have never heard mention of one. I do suspect that on the web there is a site or 2 for SAA nuts, and they might include other black powder fans in there as well. I'm glad you made it over here. Charlie Flick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts