Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Trying to "value" some guns for a friend. These may end up for sale shortly. Talking 22 Single Action commemoratives. Unfired, in the boxes, all certificates and whatnot included. From the 1961 Civil War Centennial (50,000 produced) to a 1965 issure of the General Meade, Pa., not known how many produced. I imagine the number made affects the current value a great deal....but any ballpark figures? One of the guns, a '64 issue is one of only 749 produced. There are 12 guns in all...all 22's. Can anyone help me to help this guy out? (an "inheritance" issue...and he really doesn't want them)

·
Registered
794 Posts
If your friend is looking for "ballpark" figures on their value, tell him to spend a few bucks and buy the Blue Book of Gun Values by Fjestad. That will give him ballpark.

If he wants them professionally appraised then he's going to have to spend some money.

If he wants to do any of his own research, tell him to check the auction sites for comparisons.

If he is just looking to get rid of them, tell him to take them to his local gun store and put them up on consignment and let the dealer set the price.

Or the friend can take them to a gun show and take offers.

I figure if your friend can come up with production numbers on some of these guns then he can do his own research as to what they are worth. After all, he isn't in this for the hobby, he's only interested in getting the maximum amount of money out of them.

The way I see it is it's one thing to offer assistance to someone in the hobby to help value something for purchase or trading purposes. But it is a whole different story providing the same assistance to someone just out to make a buck.

Nothing personal paddlewheel, it's just that I've seen this type of question asked before, and low and behold, the guns end up on a forums classified (for sale) with asking prices based on what was just provided.

Maybe someone else will give your friend a hand.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Paddlewheel

As WS23 said, tell your friend to buy a Blue Book and I think your friend will find that he doesn't really have a really "large" inheritance.

First off, .22 "scout" type single actions, don't command any were near the prices that the big bores do, especially in the commemoratives. In fact some of them have actually gone down in value. A good example is that 1961 Civil War Cent. is only listed as $175 in the BB and the 1965 Gen. Meade $425 and those prices haven't changed in five years, some in ten years.

I see guys at gunshows trying to peddle some of them in the $250 to $450 range and they just don't sell unless you can find a guy who collects just .22 Commemoratives which are few and far between.

By the way, every .22 Commemorative I have ever seen was "unfired, in the box with all certs." and it doesn't seem to affect value because nobody ever shoots them anyway.

Tell your buddy to buy the BB or get on the auctions and the values will emerge.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 11-19-2004).]

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 11-19-2004).]

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WS23:
I've seen this type of question asked before, and low and behold, the guns end up on a forums classified (for sale) with asking prices based on what was just provided.

Maybe someone else will give your friend a hand.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree. The type of guns described usually sell in the $20.00 to $40.00 range, so list them here, and maybe someone will take them...
Just kidding, but on a more serious note, commemoratives will have a much smaller market, and must be absolutely unfired and perfect to command the top dollar. There are a lot of outlandish "fishing expeditions" on the web sites, so look at all the prices you can find, in Gun List, the web sites, Gunsamerica, etc., and take an average to find something close to the fair market value. Some of these guns are listed at inflated prices and will never sell. Commemoratives are usually slow movers, even at bargain prices.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is great. Have a Colt question, so go to the Colt enthusiasts for some help. I don't mind short, direct, sensible answers...even if they border on supicious, or rude. As a matter of fact..the advice was good, I had already stopped at a bookstore...and for FREE, looked at the Blue Book of Gun Values...several hundred dollars for most of the issues. I told him right off that it was a shame they were 22's and not the SAA's...nothing like 150 dollar guns turning into 1200 dollar guns. We have a friendly local gun store happy to take consignments...just not very much floor traffic compared to the internet...which my friend does not have access to. The production numbers (the source of some suspicions, no doubt) were from a sheet published by Cherry's in 1965...which was in the box with the guns..this is the list of all the commemoratives, with the ones he has checked off...and I believe even their serial numbers listed. If you haven't been a shooter for your entire life...and aren't a member of "the hobby" but suddenly have 12 boxed Colts in your lap...are you a scoundrel because you want to get a fair price for them? Nothing Personal here...but I haven't asked this question here before...and I am certain the question hasn't been asked here before about THESE guns. (and you know what? I was more than a bit PUT OFF by another local dealer who bragged to me how he paid 80 dollars for a mint Python, because the seller didn't realize what he had...) I am known as a gun nut at work...the guy came to me to see if I could tell him what these Colts were worth. I have paid $500 dollars for a Smith & Wesson that the Blue Book of gun values says is worth $285...and have seen the same model trade for the same, or more....all the while the BB value is 285....hmmmmmmmmmmm..maybe the book is not always the final word....maybe Colt enthusiasts might have more informed feedback on what is popular, desirable, "hot." With Colt's on again, off again approach to even selling guns to the public....who knows...the values might be more volatile than the blue book can keep up with. I deliberately kept my questions a little vague...so as not to get into a "well you said this was worth this...so give that much to me...." situation...I was just looking for some guidance.
I appreciate all of your taking time to respond....and I value what you have to say. Seriously. I've gotten a shot or two in on HOW you said it...hee hee...and believe me...no hard feelings. I know it can be hard communicate in black and white on the internet....a lot can get lost in the translation.
It looks like if he decides to sell them, I will probably be posting them on auctions. Then, the true values DO emerge...if the right buyers are on line that week. If not...good luck to those that are...timing is everything.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
mm

·
Registered
650 Posts
Cherry's has a complete listing of Colt Commemoratives with manufacture dates, number of each produced, original price, and the current retail prices that they charge on their website. Their current retail prices are for absolutely mint, NIB examples with all of the original packaging & paperwork. Having said that, the 22's don't have that much collector value so use their list soley as a guide, understanding that their values are top dollar values.

Here's the link: http://cherrys.com/commlist.htm

[This message has been edited by Thiokol (edited 11-19-2004).]

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Your observations of the Blue Book prices are correct. Some guns will sell for more, or less than Blue Book. Sometimes it's a regional thing, and sometimes it's a lag in updating market values. That's why I suggested you compare average prices of similar guns on the open market. I hope you didn't find my feeble attempt at humor, by poking fun at the previous poster, insulting. This forum is desparate for new members, so we certainly don't want you to think the few current members are all jerks, and drive you away. There's no such thing as a dumb question, but answers are a different story....
Welcome aboard. Hope you decide to hang around.

[This message has been edited by ohiobuckeye (edited 11-20-2004).]

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse even more, but I've also seen the .22 commemoratives listed for sale and for sale in shops that captured no interest whatsoever. Justified or not, the unpopularity of the zamac-framed scouts carried over into the scout based commemoratives. Also, folks who bought .22's wanted (and want) guns they can actually shoot; after 6 or so months looking at a gold plated .22 that would actually cost them money to turn the cylinder, they'd shoot it or get rid of it. I used to have a shop and experienced this phenomenom several times. NIB .22 Peacemakers or New Frontiers? Easy sell. Commemoratives? I'd have to take them to a big show and hope another dealer would take them off my hands. Not fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts