Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a Colt Police Positive chambered in 38 Colt (38 S&W) with a 6" barrel Serial number: 47XX

I was told by a vendor (that didn't make me an offer) that because it's stamped "Police Positive" on the barrel and "Colt's New Police" on the side plate, it was more rare and a "transitional gun". I've also been told that it is a second year manufacture date, but haven't confirmed that.

The gun appears to be in barely used condition and (from what I'm told) still has the original grips and original blue finish (there's a little holster wear). A gunsmith told me that, "usually the cylinders in these things are loose, but this one should still shoot fine", but I have no intention of shooting it. I was also given a box of "Police Positive" ammunition that looks to be as old as the gun.

Basically all of the things I've just said are just me regurgitating what I've been told by gun show vendors and other self-declared experts. Any additional information is appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another thing...

Where the serial number is printed inside the joint that opens the cylinder there is a "1" or "I" (not 100% sure) stamped above the number. I have been told that it's not a part of the serial number, as the serial number is printed in 3 other places (opposite side of joint/hinge and each side of the grip). What does the 1/I mean (if anything)?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
It sounds like a nice early gun. It's normal for the early Police Positives to be stamped New Police on the side plate. The "I" above the serial number is an inspectors mark. The cylinder locks up tight when the trigger is pulled all the way back. That's the positive lock up which is why they use the name Police Positive. You should post a picture so we can tell you if you have the original finish or if it has been re-blued at some time. The original finish will be a mirror like high polish with fire blue trigger and screws.

·
Registered
12,844 Posts
We'd definitely love to see some images..!

Outdoor, indirect Sunshine is best, if you can.

I love the 'early' PPS of this era...very sweet little Colts!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts