Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Colt Model 1892 Commercial Revolver in 38 Long Colt with a 6" barrel and blue finish. The serial number of the comes back to a manufacture date of 1904. So the gun maybe the 1903 variation of the 1892 Model. The gun is in absolutely beautiful condition it has about 97% blue with most of the fire blue on the hammer, trigger and screws it is also almost in perfect mechanical condition. You would have to go a long way to find a better condition one. What is very unusal about the gun is that it has a push button hammer and trigger lock safety at the top of the backstrap just behind the hammer. You push the button in and then push a spring loaded pin on the right side and it locks the hammer and trigger so they don't move. To release it you push a pin on the left side and the button pops out and it unlocks the gun. This maybe some kind of protype device that Colt was testing at the time. I am looking for any information that someone may have on this gun or the safety device that it has on it. Has anyone ever seen another Colt with this safety device? Thanks in advance. Michael

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
I've never seen that one!

It's possible it was a factory prototype, or something post-factory, but I've never heard of anything like it.

In this case, the expense of a Historical letter from Colt might be in order.
In the event this was a factory job, it could be worth a considerable amount of money.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
I suspect that this is an aftermarket modification by some enterprising and skillful person. If not, and it is factory, the value could be very high. A factory letter is absolutely necessary to deal with this issue.

Let us know what you find out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts