Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time posting. I'm seeking information about a Colt Police Positive Special with Railway Express markings. Serial number on the pistol is 516636. The book by Wilson dates it to 1949. The finish is the hot dip blue, but the cylinder grooves, grip strap and trigger guard have the matte blue. The backstrap has the following marks: RY EX AGY which I believe stands for Railway Express Agency. The grips are the dark brown plastic with the Colt logo at the top. The caliber is 38 Colt NP. First is the gun correct. The large Blue Book claims no production after 1946, and that all had checkered wooden grips. Second are cartridges available? Thanks for any help.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
Since the Wilson book is considered by the Colt factory to be the "official" history of the Colt company, and was written with full access to the company records, ALWAYS go with "the book". It's right.

A close read of all other books, like the Blue Book and the Standard Catalog, will turn up numerous errors for many guns listed, including Colt.

Your gun was made in 1949, and the early post-war two-tone finish is correct. The finish was polished only on the sides of the frame and cylinder, with the flutes and "edges" of the gun bead-blasted to a matt finish.

The plastic grips, are likely correct.

Ammo is (I think, note the qualifier) interchangeable with the .38 S&W. This was just a case of Colt not wanting to put S&W's name on their gun, so they called the cartridge the .38 Colt New Police. The .38 S&W is still available.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The .38 S&W is indeed the same cartridge as the .38 Colt New Police, just as the .32 S&W Long and .32 Colt New Police are the same. It was simply a matter of Colt not wanting to put someone else's name on their guns.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Beware of "Express Guns"! There are more "Express Guns" out there than the Express Companies collectively bought and used. Lots of Railway Express, Adams Express, Wells Fargo, etc. A good way to elevate the price of a $150.00 Colt Positive etc. If it has gotten this far without someone getting a verification (Colt letter), Beware! Steve B.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts