Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across an old pocket pistol with a fold up trigger. It appears to me to be a 32 cal. revolver. On top of the frame it says, "Puppy COLTS MFG Co" After spending lots of time searching all over the Internet, I have found no photos and no refference what so ever to this gun. I would really appreciate any info you might be able to provide.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Images would be very useful for this one!

Not a Colt, but, it would be fun to figure out what it is ( other than probably Belgian ).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying.
I am not an antique gun collector and have little to no knowledge of the manufacturers etc. Since its not a Colt firearm, why would it have the name Colt's MFG Co. on the frame? A foreign company trying to capitalize on the well known name of Colt? I posted a couple photos of it in the photo section of this forum.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
This was once popular and an attempt by cheap Belgian, and especially Spanish gun makers to fool people mostly in South America that they were getting a real Colt or S&W gun.
By the time the American companies found out about it and got their lawyers on it, the "company" was out of business and the same people re-formed under another name.

You see guns like the S&W with barrel stamps like:
This gun is best with Smith & Wesson cartridges.

On most of these Belgian and Spanish guns, serial numbers and "proof marks" may have no meaning at all. Remember that the idea was to fool a gullible buyer and anything that made it "look good" was used.
If you see any stamps like "ELG" with a Crown, that's a common Belgian proof mark, but most of these things had no valid proof test at all.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The gun looks either French or Belgian. Sure NOT a Colt. At least not a Colt of Hartford, Ct.!

The thing looks to be double action, and with a swing out cylinder? That type of gun was popular with streetwalkers, thugs, cyclists, and ne'er-do-well of Paris in the 1880s. (I was told, you understand.)

Bob Wright

·
Registered
12,832 Posts

Oh!

Thanks Chaffee!

THAT photo-section!

I think the little Revolver s just adorable..!

Looks Belgian to me.

Front Sight is loose or skewered, but, that would not likely be too hard to fix.

If Mechanicals are good, function good, Lock-up and Timing Good, Barrel Bore good, probably would fetch $200.00-ish in Gunbroker, would be my guess.

It appears to borrow heavily from, or to emulate, the old 'WEBLEY' Solid Frame DAs of the 1870s/1880s...but for the Folding Trigger anyway.

Nice vivid Celluloid Stocks...

Cool!!!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
A whole new naming convention for Colt....

Yorkie .25 acp
French Poodle7.65 mm
Schnauser 9 mm
Border Collie .38 Special
Doberman Pinscher .357 Magnum
German Sherard .41 Magnum
Bull Mastiff .44 Magnum

Hey guys let's have some fun with it!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
A whole new naming convention for Colt....

Yorkie .25 acp
French Poodle7.65 mm
Schnauser 9 mm
Border Collie .38 Special
Doberman Pinscher .357 Magnum
German Sherard .41 Magnum
Bull Mastiff .44 Magnum

Hey guys let's have some fun with it!

Nope. Too much leeway for some crude remarks!

Bob Wright

1 - 12 of 12 Posts