Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across an old pocket pistol with a fold up trigger. It appears to me to be a 32 cal. revolver. On top of the frame it says, "Puppy COLTS MFG Co" After spending lots of time searching all over the Internet, I have found no photos and no refference what so ever to this gun. I would really appreciate any info you might be able to provide.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying.
I am not an antique gun collector and have little to no knowledge of the manufacturers etc. Since its not a Colt firearm, why would it have the name Colt's MFG Co. on the frame? A foreign company trying to capitalize on the well known name of Colt? I posted a couple photos of it in the photo section of this forum.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,547 Posts
This was once popular and an attempt by cheap Belgian, and especially Spanish gun makers to fool people mostly in South America that they were getting a real Colt or S&W gun.
By the time the American companies found out about it and got their lawyers on it, the "company" was out of business and the same people re-formed under another name.

You see guns like the S&W with barrel stamps like:
This gun is best with Smith & Wesson cartridges.

On most of these Belgian and Spanish guns, serial numbers and "proof marks" may have no meaning at all. Remember that the idea was to fool a gullible buyer and anything that made it "look good" was used.
If you see any stamps like "ELG" with a Crown, that's a common Belgian proof mark, but most of these things had no valid proof test at all.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
The gun looks either French or Belgian. Sure NOT a Colt. At least not a Colt of Hartford, Ct.!

The thing looks to be double action, and with a swing out cylinder? That type of gun was popular with streetwalkers, thugs, cyclists, and ne'er-do-well of Paris in the 1880s. (I was told, you understand.)

Bob Wright

·
Registered
12,832 Posts

Oh!

Thanks Chaffee!

THAT photo-section!

I think the little Revolver s just adorable..!

Looks Belgian to me.

Front Sight is loose or skewered, but, that would not likely be too hard to fix.

If Mechanicals are good, function good, Lock-up and Timing Good, Barrel Bore good, probably would fetch $200.00-ish in Gunbroker, would be my guess.

It appears to borrow heavily from, or to emulate, the old 'WEBLEY' Solid Frame DAs of the 1870s/1880s...but for the Folding Trigger anyway.

Nice vivid Celluloid Stocks...

Cool!!!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
A whole new naming convention for Colt....

Yorkie .25 acp
French Poodle7.65 mm
Schnauser 9 mm
Border Collie .38 Special
Doberman Pinscher .357 Magnum
German Sherard .41 Magnum
Bull Mastiff .44 Magnum

Hey guys let's have some fun with it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.