Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a colt 44 center fire Richards-Mason conversion pistol. It was my Great Grandfathers and I am looking for information and pictures of it. Pat. dates show 1871-1872 on barrell. I have not seen but a couple of pictures of its kind on the internet. It has a 8 in barrell and the rear sight is on the hammer. One piece rear stock and it looks like a silver strap around the stock.If anyone has info on this please let me know.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
I have a colt 44 center fire Richards-Mason conversion pistol. It was my Great Grandfathers and I am looking for information and pictures of it. Pat. dates show 1871-1872 on barrell.
Don't you mean patent dates on the frame? I strongly suggest getting a hold of a copy of Bruce McDowell's 'A Study of Colt Conversions and other Percussion Revolvers'. It will tell you about everything you would want to know about your pistol.

The Richard Mason is a fairly rare Colt with only a little over 1000 made and you have a nice collectible piece. Congrats.

Pictures??

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Ask us here what you would like to Know, or PM me......Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats crazy is that the pics i have seen on the internet that look like the one I have all have ser#'s between 5000 and 7000. This one has a ser# of 682. And this ser# is on about 3 or 4 different places on the pistol so I know its correct. I will try to get some picture loaded up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This picture is looks like the one I have. All the pistols that look like this one start with ser#5000's and end around in the #7000's. Mine is three digits only. #682.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Serial number range was between 5800 and 7900. The one I pictured is 68XX. You better post pictures as you may have a Richards Conv., 1872 Open Top SA or foreign copy.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
No, it would be .44 Colt, an early central fire round only used in the '60 Army conversions that used a heel base bullet that was outside lubed. Go here to learn more:

THE CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Boge; Yes, both my Richards and Richards-Mason (pictured above) conversions were chambered for The .44 Colt..My 2, 1872 Open Tops, are rimfire... Jim

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
RM's were chamabered for the Colt 44, not a Henry round. Colt Opentop revolvers were chambered for the 44 rimfire Henry, but the RM's are all centerfire, as are the straight Richards conversions with the rear sight on top of the conversion ring.

JP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts