Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of my favorite of the few I have ! Any estimates on this one ? Again not looking to sell , I’m just enjoying learning about them !

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
OK, just so we know, how MANY of these guns are you going to post, in multiple places, asking for appraisals? And not adding anything else to the forum? The best way to get an appraisal is to look at comparable sold guns on Gunbroker. But that takes work and time, it's easier just to post your entire collection on here and ask others.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love looking at good pics of old Colts and am not qualified to appraise any of them. If you look at the pictures of Colt revolvers posted on some of the better auction sites as well as on this forum, you will get a feel for the type and quality of photo needed for an evaluation.

Price alone, can be subjective. The many experts on this forum can give you much more in the way of value by critiquing the quality of each gun in your collection.

With their opinions of quality and authenticity, you will be equipped to compare your revolvers to those being offered for sale. These guys know these guns and share their knowledge, from what I have seen.

It is fascinating how much information can be gleaned by posting some detailed pics. Can’t wait to see some more.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, just so we know, how MANY of these guns are you going to post, in multiple places, asking for appraisals? And not adding anything else to the forum? The best way to get an appraisal is to look at comparable sold guns on Gunbroker. But that takes work and time, it's easier just to post your entire collection on here and ask others.
I have 5 SAA in the collection , I have posted a few with the intention of starting a discussion about them to pique the interest of people who would like to see these old guns which I am having fun researching. The estimate that I’m getting here are pretty much like I’m getting everywhere else , not much . I have receipts and location where some of these were bought and already have a good idea of what they are worth . I have done about 6 months of work on looking these up and it’s been interesting and fun for me .

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am no expert but I can say non-glare, large, in-focus photos of all angles are needed. The grips appear to be ivory so clear photos of the ends are needed to see if they are real.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Yes, keep posting them for discussion. But here's a thought, it's not a "discussion" if you are not part of it: tell us something about what YOU think of them. "I notice this one has a __, what did Colt use for that?....I like that this one's cylinder has more bluing, but the other is my favorite because __...." Et Cetra.

If you know what they are worth, why are you posting them again with just two sentences asking what they're worth? If you already know about them from 6 months research, tell US what you have found. Otherwise, people feel like they're being used.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, keep posting them for discussion. But here's a thought, it's not a "discussion" if you are not part of it: tell us something about what YOU think of them. "I notice this one has a __, what did Colt use for that?....I like that this one's cylinder has more bluing, but the other is my favorite because __...." Et Cetra.

If you know what they are worth, why are you posting them again with just two sentences asking what they're worth? If you already know about them from 6 months research, tell US what you have found. Otherwise, people feel like they're being used.
If you don’t like the post don’t reply . It looks like from your profile you reply way more than you start discussions anyway .

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
JFH1969 said:
This is one of my favorite of the few I have.....not looking to sell , I’m just enjoying learning about them..
Here is a short education about the "Colt Forum". First and foremost this is a terrible place to ask about value or an appraisal of your guns. Some of the guys here have bought (and sold) literally thousands of SAA Colts and clones. Some did it 30 years ago. Some are just now doing it. When they bought their guns will likely reflect what they think your gun is worth. If you want to know what your gun is worth today go to the online sales formats like Gun Broker, Guns American or Guns International and then put in the time to see what a gun similar to yours sells for in today's market. You look like a knob asking the question here and you'll get any number of prices almost always guaranteed to be low balled to a "buy it now" price. Fact not fiction.

If you want to know something about your gun in minute detail, you need to make the effort of getting some good photos of your prized piece. Learn how to take a picture. Most phones have excellent cameras in them these days that will do the job nicely.

The new forum format allows pictures to be posted easily. Make an effort to do that if you want the forum involved.

Finally I have noted a number of new members here that have gone out of their way to drop in and show their current level of knowledge or lack of generally. After all it is the Internet and everyone is either an expert or wants the forum to think they are. Thankfully the new format allows the ignore feature's use just as easy to use here as the photo feature.

Here is a classis example. The thread that started out slow and turned into a great conversation/education for the OP as well as the membership, old and new. Worth noting that the OP didn't get into a pissing match with any of the contributing members.

Phone photo of one of my Colts. More quality photos always mo' better for any conversation here.

Better yet...clearly show some detail if you want to know more and anything useful about your gun.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Here is a short education about the "Colt Forum". First and foremost this is a terrible place to ask about value or an appraisal of your guns. Some of the guys here have bought (and sold) literally thousands of SAA Colts and clones. Some did it 30 years ago. Some are just now doing it. When they bought their guns will likely reflect what they think you gun is worth. If you want to know what your gun is worth got to the online sales formats like Gun Broker or Guns American, Guns International and then put in the time to see what a gun similar to yours sells for in today's market. You look like a knob asking the question here and you'll get any number of prices almost always guaranteed to low balled. Fact not fiction.
This right here is the truth. The prices I see thrown about at times do not reflect what the market truly is. At times it's like when I used to take my FIL shopping for fishing tackle. He would get upset at how high prices had gotten on hooks and sinkers. I had to remind him that it wasn't the 1970s and wages weren't $3.00 an hour anymore. I wish I could find first-generation Colt SAAs for some of the estimates given. It is akin to finding a four-leaf clover. The best bet is to see what an SAA in like condition, caliber, features are selling for online. Notice I didn't say listed for. And, one tiny little difference can make a radical change in value. The Colt Frontier Six Shooter shown in your other thread is something I have been hunting for and I can say the current market is crazy with battered models going for over $2K online.
I have been slowly absorbing Kopec's "bible" and the more I learn the more I realize how ignorant I am on the topic.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Maybe a "whats it worth" area on the forum would be a solution, I understand why people who just got a old Colt from a family member might want to drive by and see what its worth, EZ for them- but it takes up space on the forum and is perplexing some times.

Old Ugly who misses the old days most everywhere... lol

·
Premium Member
19,234 Posts
JFH1969, I am a Colt Forum member who does not mind new members asking a simple question like "What is my recently acquired SAA worth."
After looking at your 'out-of-focus' pictures, I could only see that the gun has some nice original finish remaining and that it does not appear to have been previously owned and operated on by a Bubba.
With the added information you just posted about the SN being in the 338xxx range and that the grip are ivory, I would put the value of your gun in the $2750-3250 range.
I suspect that some of our forum members started their interest in Colt firearms by inheriting one or by acquiring an interesting Colt by some mechanism other that simply buying it due to existing knowledge.
Welcome aboard!!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
“Research now consists of asking forum members that spent 35 years studying the subject and 3000.00+ dollars on a reference library, a couple questions based on lousy pics and no info. JMO!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glad you’re back JFH1969. Please post more pics. Saintclair said it best. As for the rest, the crusty ones are the best. Photos. . .love to see them.

·
Premium Member
19,234 Posts
“Research now consists of asking forum members that spent 35 years studying the subject and 3000.00+ dollars on a reference library, a couple questions based on lousy pics and no info. JMO!

Rick, I certainly have over $3000 in gun books, but if some relative were to die and leave me an old violin, I would probably go to some violin forum just to determine if I have something worth keeping and caring for or just store it in the attic.
My book buying started way before Al Gore invented the internet. If all of the internet sources were available in my younger days, I would not likely have so many books.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts