Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a 2 1/2 inch Python at a small gunshop, s/n 540xx which has a DOB of 1958 I believe. I estimate that it's in 95 - 98% condition. The previous owner, however, had scribed his initials on the butt and inside the frame above the trigger. The store owner wants $800 for it. I'd like to hear any comments and opinions on its value and what it would take to get it back into somewhat original condition. Am looking to use it as an occasional shooter, but do not want to pay $800 for it. Thank you.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Just curious why you would want a 2-1/2" as an occassional shooter. I've always considered these more of a self defense, carry weapon and I would only buy one for collection purposes.

Anyway, the etchings will detract from collector value. I wouldn't pay $800.00 for a defaced 95% as a collector, but as a shooter it might not be a bad price. Just like we have stated a million times, the market has driven these revolvers to outlandish over-pricing. Check and compare some of the auction sites because I have seen a lot of 2-1/2" Pythons and Diamondbacks recently:

gunbroker.com
gunsamerica.com
auctionarms.com

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Had they started making the Python with a 2 1/2" barrel in 1958?
An original 1958 specimen would command a premium price, probably $1200 to $1500 easy. So one with initals etched in it would probably still be in the $800 price range as a shooter. The age of it will be a big factor in the pricing.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Upon rechecking the DOB, it is 1966 not 1958 according to Proofhouse.com. As far as using a 2-1/2 inch Python as an occasional shooter - I shoot 'em all and try to become proficient, but I have a long way to go.

Anybody have an cost estimate to remove the etched initials and reblue? Could just the reground and polished areas be reblued or the whole gun?

Thanks for the replys.

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
As I recall, the 2.5-inch Python came out in 1963. I am fortunate enough to have one made in 1963. Its fit and finish are outstanding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts