Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this one up at a local show this weekend. I am going to order a letter on it and I have already discussed it with our resident expert thecoltguy, but he has never seen this configuration. It has what appear to be factory Fleur De Lis grips like you see on the early Officer's Models and New Service Target guns. It also has a bead front sight. This is a first year 1910 production gun. Also has the serial number in pencil on the inside of both grip panels. Has anyone ever seen one of these?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sir, I've only seen the Target Police Positive in reference books and from images posted by the lucky owner. It looks like you hit a 'homerun' with your gun show purchase. I've 'never' seen the Target PP Model, like you have though. Your Colt is deserving of the Colt Factory Letter as you have an uncommon Target Police Positive and the letter could shed some more background on it. Thanks for showing us!

David

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Special order gun.
That is what I was thinking. I originally bought it for the stocks but then noticed it was a first year gun and that it had the bead sight. I thought it deserved to stay intact and have a letter. Who knows what provenance it may have. I will post the letter info as soon as I find out.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,463 Posts
The straight post Patridge Target front sight was not always the standard among shooters.
In the early days some shooters still used bead front sights, and I believe that Colt fitted them on Target models on request.
Colt definitely made "U" notch rear sights for these guns.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
That is what I was thinking. I originally bought it for the stocks but then noticed it was a first year gun and that it had the bead sight. I thought it deserved to stay intact and have a letter. Who knows what provenance it may have. I will post the letter info as soon as I find out.
I have to say you've piqued our interest.
Please do keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Those stocks are great. I wouldn't doubt they are original and probably some type of special order. I ran into this myself with an Officers Model from 1912. These stocks are numbered to the gun, but I can't find any pictures or info in any books showing this style. I only bought the gun because of the stocks.

The front sight looks like a later style, with the adjusting screws. My early PPT's have single screw fixed height changeable frnt blades. These are from 1910 22wrf, 1911 22lr (with later stocks) and 1910 .32 Colt.

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
I have a Police Positive Target (1XX) chambered in .22WRF, shipped May 2, 2010 as one of ten. It has the standard rubber stocks.

The stocks on ssgunnip's gun have a pattern nearly identical to the pattern on a "left-wheeler" Officers Model (2684XX) I have that shipped November 14, 1906 as one of two. I have never seen that pattern on anything newer before, but in 1910, that pattern could have been the "fancy" stock style on a Police Positive. I hope that the letter will mention the stocks. Let us know what it says.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a Police Positive Target (1XX) chambered in .22WRF, shipped May 2, 2010 as one of ten. It has the standard rubber stocks. The stocks on ssgunnip's gun have a pattern nearly identical to the pattern on a "left-wheeler" Officers Model (2684XX) I have that shipped November 14, 1906 as one of two. I have never seen that pattern on anything newer before, but in 1910, that pattern could have been the "fancy" stock style on a Police Positive. I hope that the letter will mention the stocks. Let us know what it says.
Thank you for the info and input Judge. I will be sure to post the details as soon as they arrive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.