Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a local store today and was looking around and found a few Colt's. One particular Colt was a Tank Officers Model. For those not familiar with this model its basically a Officers ACP slide on a Commanders frame. This version is one of those limited RSR/ Lew Horton limited edition pieces. 1 of 350 or so. Well I asked to look at said gun and the first thing that stood out was the fact that someone removed the Colt MSH and replaced it with one from a Colt Sistema. Also the matte blue finish was was at best 90-95% condition. And the magazine was a non Colt one also. Well let me cut to the chase. Asking price $1099.00 I think this price for this gun in its non original altered condition is crazy. When I asked if there was any wiggle room I was in formed "NO" price is firm. Has anyone else ran into this kind of Piracy before?
/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Larry;

Sounds pretty typical of many gun show finds. The military 1911's and 1911A1's are prone to be abused in this fashion. A mismatched compilation of parts with some approximation of a parkerized finish represented and priced as an original gun is very common. The 1911 enthusiasts are way behind the scam artists on the military contract .45's right now and subject to a skinning. Single Action Army's can be similarly abused.

One must be armed with knowledge to wade into collecting these days.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I try not to pass up a gun shop, especially the little out of the way places in little towns. I have had some good luck in those places in the last couple of years.

This weekend in a little town down the road here in Indiana near where my son lives, I saw a military 1911 frame - reBLUE'd VERY badly, weak markings and a lot or unevenly rounded off edges, with a later Colt mfg military slide with no finish and a lot of scratches and gouge marks, a late production hammer, plastic long trigger, mismatched grip panels, flat rubber coated MSH, the barrel looked to be a late import P.O.S. with a lot of crown damage, every pin and screw looked to be beat on or rounded off. It was honestly one of the worst looking collections of parts I have seen short of what you occasionally find under the seat of a crack heads car.

The dealer had the courtesy to spit in his can before he took the "Dubya Dubya One gun" (as he put it) out of the case and handed it to me, with the "SALE $1250.00" price tag on it.

I'm still not sure if the night crawlers he was sellin was for fishin or snackin on. It was a classy place... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I try not to pass up a gun shop, especially the little out of the way places in little towns. I have had some good luck in those places in the last couple of years.

This weekend in a little town down the road here in Indiana near where my son lives, I saw a military 1911 frame - reBLUE'd VERY badly, weak markings and a lot or unevenly rounded off edges, with a later Colt mfg military slide with no finish and a lot of scratches and gouge marks, a late production hammer, plastic long trigger, mismatched grip panels, flat rubber coated MSH, the barrel looked to be a late import P.O.S. with a lot of crown damage, every pin and screw looked to be beat on or rounded off. It was honestly one of the worst looking collections of parts I have seen short of what you occasionally find under the seat of a crack heads car.

The dealer had the courtesy to spit in his can before he took the "Dubya Dubya One gun" (as he put it) out of the case and handed it to me, with the "SALE $1250.00" price tag on it.

I'm still not sure if the night crawlers he was selling was for fishin or snackin on. It was a classy place... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh my I guess it goes on all over the place. I'm for one glad Colt is getting back on there feet.Maybe the prices will let up s bit?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts