Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting this 6 inch blued Python from its original owner. Is this "N" an inspector stamp? He bought it in 79 which matches the serial number. Don't believe that this was ever refinished.Just puzzled by the letter. Is this where they stamped the nickel guns? Did the pachmayers not come up as high on the grip frame as the target stocks?This will be my shooter python. Locks up nice and tight. No scratches or any bluing loss. My other two are new in box.
Thanks.

20140917_125100.jpg

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,007 Posts
That is an inspectors stamp. It's thought to be the assemblers stamp.
You'll find another inspectors stamp on the frame, just below the serial number. That one is thought to be the final inspectors stamp.

For both inspection stamps you'll see a good number of variations since many people inspected Colt guns over the years.

Those Pachmayr grips are not original. Genuine Colt-Pachmayr grips for the Python would have Gold Colt medallions. Your Python would have shipped with Third Type walnut Target grips.

It's not that the Pachmayr Presentation grips didn't fit higher on the frame as much as the curved cut to clear speed loaders exposed more of the frame.
The rounded walnut Target grips just covered more of the frame since they didn't have a loader clearance cut like the rubber grips.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is an inspectors stamp. It's thought to be the assemblers stamp.
You'll find another inspectors stamp on the frame, just below the serial number. That one is thought to be the final inspectors stamp.

For both inspection stamps you'll see a good number of variations since many people inspected Colt guns over the years.

Those Pachmayr grips are not original. Genuine Colt-Pachmayr grips for the Python would have Gold Colt medallions. Your Python would have shipped with Third Type walnut Target grips.

It's not that the Pachmayr Presentation grips didn't fit higher on the frame as much as the curved cut to clear speed loaders exposed more of the frame.
The rounded walnut Target grips just covered more of the frame since they didn't have a loader clearance cut like the rubber grips.
Great info dfariswheel. I know those are not the correct grips. The guy that I got it from may still have the walnut target grips somewhere. He is going to look for them for me. Thanks again for all of the great info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts