Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RIA; was that ever used as an inspectors mark on Official Police revolvers after WWII?

·
Registered
12,275 Posts
What serial number range is it, and does it have the Ordnance flaming bomb acceptance mark on the left rear upper part of frame? I can see one of the military pistols going through Rock Island Arsenal.

It appears that any weapon that went through Rock Island was marked whether rebuilt or not. There is a group of Colt 1911A1 pistols in the 1.104 million serial number range that are marked with RIA, FK, and the ordnance bomb that are in original finish with nothing changed. It appears that they went through as a group, and RIA marked them.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This OP has the RIA on the left side above the trigger, dates to 1947 and has the ordinance bomb. Probably not inspectors initials, just rework marks.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
As "JohnnyP" noted in his thread that the 1911A1 went thru RIA for rework. I have one that is a 1917 Colt, but the Slide was changed out at some time. But here is a photo of the RIA stamp, FK stamp ands the Ordnance Bomb.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

·
Registered
12,275 Posts
Good example of a Rock Island Arsenal rework.

The Colt 1911 was originally shipped November 7, 1917 to Springfield Armory. The slide is a Model 1911A1 replacement slide. The requirement for marking the slide with the M 1911A1 U.S. ARMY was dropped in 1943.

·
Registered
673 Posts
As "JohnnyP" noted in his thread that the 1911A1 went thru RIA for rework. I have one that is a 1917 Colt, but the Slide was changed out at some time. But here is a photo of the RIA stamp, FK stamp ands the Ordnance Bomb.

View attachment 53172
FK = Frank Krack was Assistant Foreman of the Inspection Division at Rock Island Arsenal from September 17, 1941 until he retired on July 19th, 1946. During that period all small arms inspected under his supervision would be stamped with his initials "FK" as well as those of the Rock Island Arsenal "RIA"

His stamp on my RIA 1917A1 as I received it:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.