Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have decided not to use this pistol for bullseye competition, I am thinking of carrying it for CCW, and a little IDPA practice.

Will it be possible to have night sights installed on my new production NMGC while keeping the dovetails intact, so that I could reinstall the original sights if I were to choose so at a later date?

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Before wrecking the original sights on your GCNM I would try packing it for a while as your CCW. Personally I tried carrying a full size .45 for a while and didn't like it, changed to an Officer's Model and didn't like it either. Settled for a Glock 19 when I carry in a holster, or a Kel-Tec in the pocket when a holster is not possible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I replaced the front sight on my GCT with fiber optic. The dovetails are standard. Any decent smith can do it. The trick is picking the right height.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,616 Posts
My buddy used to carry a 1970's Colt Gold Cup with the original Ellison rear sight.
I altered the front sight to a forward slant to prevent ripping holsters and skin.

Later I changed the front sight to an original Target type and he began carrying a full size S&W M&P .45 which he had custom gunsmithed to mount a Eotech electric rear sight.

Strangely, in the 70's he was so skinny I joked that he could take a bath in a shotgun barrel, but he carried the Colt in a inside the belt holster and you literally could not tell he was wearing it.

In the case of a new GC, the original sight cut for the rear Ellison sight has been changed to a standard dovetail and the front is also dovetailed.
These are standard Colt dovetail cuts so most any front and rear sights made for a Colt auto will fit.
Brownell's offer a number of night sights that will fit, but you'll need to select a rear sight that's similar in length to the original sight or it'll look odd.

Happily, Kensight makes Bomar type sights for the new Colt Cup, including a beveled rear carry blade version with luminous inserts.
They also sell matching the luminous front sight. Price is $189.95 for both.
If you want it they also sell plain black beveled and beveled with painted white dots.

BoMar BMCS 1911 Kensight Sight Trijicon Tritium insert - Night Sights with Beveled Blade

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just bought a HiViz Fiber optic sight for my GCNM with Elliason rear sight. I’ll post a pic after the smith installs. This basically turns my GC into the new model Competition or GCT. Changes because I ha e trouble seeing the black on black stock sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I just bought a HiViz Fiber optic sight for my GCNM with Elliason rear sight. I’ll post a pic after the smith installs. This basically turns my GC into the new model Competition or GCT. Changes because I have trouble seeing the black on black stock sights.
I also have difficulty with black front sights. I installed a Dawson Precision FO front sight on my GCT .45ACP. It's a smaller FO tube than what my newer Gold Cup 9mm came with. While I prefer the Dawson sights whatever Colt is currently using is still pretty good.

I've never tried carrying a full sized steel pistol but with a good holster and belt it shouldn't be too bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
dfariswheel mentions the "skinny guy" conceal-carry of a 1911 full size. Reminds me of a guest speaker at our shooting range last year. The subject being "concealed carry".
He was a little critical of toting a "mouse" gun in .22, .25 and .32 just because you think they were all you could effectively conceal. He said it was just as easy concealing a full size .45 as any of those little "baby" guns....(I was starting to squirm and re-position my pocketed .32 Keltec so I didn't get "pointed out".

He spread his arms and said, "I have a full size 1911 on me right now". He was wearing regular dark green khaki pants and a Wrangler work shirt, neither was especially loose fitting.
He slowly turned 360 and I still could see no sign of a gun. Next, the skinny little runt, bout 5'8" X 140, turned and faced us and pulled a 1911 government model from his right side waist band. I could hardly believe it. I had studied that area and his middle back and every where else and I saw no gun, and I still have 20-20.

He pointed out a fact. We were "gun people", knew the shape of a gun, told there was a gun, and still did not see it. He also pointed out most people have poor observation skills, do not pay much attention to others, and are far more interested in their own self than observing others, so concealment was relative...... In regard to his observation, while He didn't say it; I thought it. That's the reason so many innocent people get set upon. They are caught up in themselves and fail to be aware of their surroundings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts