Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a letter from Travelers p[roperty Casualty via Core-Vens Co that my firearm policy in North Carolina will not be renewable. Never had a claim. Maybe just me, Travelers or NC?? Probably have to look for a new policy. Any recommendations to insure my Colt collection? Here
's the letter - I plan to call them during business hours this week

·
The Consummate Collector
6,557 Posts
ted

Please let me know what they say as I have my policy with Core-Vens as well. I have not gotten any notice yet but in case I do I would enjoy hearing what they say.

Cam.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
ted

Please let me know what they say as I have my policy with Core-Vens as well. I have not gotten any notice yet but in case I do I would enjoy hearing what they say.

Cam.
So would I.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
This was discussed a few days ago, also.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A person at Core Vens told me that Travelers Ins may not offer a firearms policy anymore, so Core-Vens is looking at another insurer/underwriter. I also left a message with Erin (?) at Core Vens to return my call.
In the mean time I'll get a quote from others including Steve Boyette and Assoc.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
tedm,

Keep us posted I also have Core Vens, but my policy doesn't renew until January.

Craig

·
The Consummate Collector
6,557 Posts
A person at Core Vens told me that Travelers Ins may not offer a firearms policy anymore, so Core-Vens is looking at another insurer/underwriter. I also left a message with Erin (?) at Core Vens to return my call.
In the mean time I'll get a quote from others including Steve Boyette and Assoc.

Please let us know how that policy compares to Cor-Vens.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Been with them for a few years now, and have been happy. It's basically an art and collectibles policy, no schedule (list of firearms) required, although I do have one for myself that I maintain. I split up my collection into "shooters" at a super low rate and "safe queens" at a higher rate. I might have had to sign something saying I did have a safe.

Of course, I haven't had to make a claim, either. But when I researched, seemed like folks who did have to make a claim encountered no issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The following from their website:

“Core-Vens & Company, Inc. was founded in 1963. We’re a family owned and operated independent insurance agency, located in Clinton, Iowa. We’ve been insuring firearms collectors, dealers and shooting sportsman since 1987. TransGuard Insurance Company of America, Inc., a Member of IAT Insurance Group, is currently providing the coverage for our program. With them, we continue to provide competitive pricing, excellent claims service and a secure market for collectable and sporting firearms.

We have a great working relationship with TransGuard / IAT Insurance Group and we’re very involved in the underwriting process. We have the authority to make most coverage decisions in our office. Therefore, we can get you covered in a matter of hours. Whether you’re a fine firearms dealer, collector or shooting sportsman, we’ve got you covered!”

Looks like they have another underwriter.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I need to find a better insurance too. For 30 years I've been with one company for home, auto, and personal property. Big one, rhymes with hate swarm (of bees). Today the girl called saying "we can no longer insure your inoperable automobile"....I said "fine, let me check in about my guns. You always say you don't need photos or appraisals, and I send you an updated list every year...what are you showing?" She did some clicking and replied with ONE QUARTER of the total number. I told her to send me the list SHE has. Yep, missing SKADS of my items. So I'm shopping.

Cam, are you switching, or staying with the corven, and do you like them if staying?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I need to find a better insurance too. For 30 years I've been with one company for home, auto, and personal property. Big one, rhymes with hate swarm (of bees). Today the girl called saying "we can no longer insure your inoperable automobile"....I said "fine, let me check in about my guns. You always say you don't need photos or appraisals, and I send you an updated list every year...what are you showing?" She did some clicking and replied with ONE QUARTER of the total number. I told her to send me the list SHE has. Yep, missing SKADS of my items. So I'm shopping.

Cam, are you switching, or staying with the corven, and do you like them if staying?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I have used a company called "Collectibles Insurance" for years. They have
very reasonable rates, no serial numbers needed. I never had a claim but a
friend of mine (he's an 01 FFL) has had several valuable guns destroyed by
shipping companies. He has Collectibles as well and his claims were promptly
paid. Here is a link:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Received a letter from Travelers p[roperty Casualty via Core-Vens Co that my firearm policy in North Carolina will not be renewable. Never had a claim. Maybe just me, Travelers or NC?? Probably have to look for a new policy. Any recommendations to insure my Colt collection? Here View attachment 703453 View attachment 703454 's the letter - I plan to call them during business hours this week
Send me a PM, and I will provide an agents name and phone number. Mike Clark at "Collectors Firearms" in Houston uses them too.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hopefully Core-Vens will come up with another good underwriter. Collectibles Insurance was over 50% higher than the policy coverage I have now. Haven’t received any letters from Core-Vens yet about any underwriting changes

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Core-Vens has found a new insurance carrier. Spoke with them today and coverage and cost will remain the same for my policy.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I went with Steve Boyett & Associates, Inc. They answered the email by calling and explaining everything. He will insure guns (and similar collectibles) and doesn't need appraisals unless one item is worth over I believe it was $10K. They don't need appraisals, you can send him a list and what YOU want to insure each for. They will pay out that if any or all are stolen or damaged. It was a fast and easy process and quite cheap (half what I was paying through my homeowner policy).

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Rick
After that last debacle with Lockton/Carry Guard, I'm very reluctant to go with their choices. Yeah, I know they really didn't have control over the demise but please, they should have informed us (me). I didn't get any notification.
I don't say this lightly. My membership dates back to 1973 and Life 1980, thru and up to Benefactor.
If only we could resurrect Neal Knox! Chris Cox could've been that person.
Vic

Reactions: smutt
1 - 20 of 26 Posts