Colt Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a additional policy with State Farm, when I had Nationwide the same. They have pictures and values of all guns and my wife's jewelry. There is no deductible. With my wife's jewelry if she loses a ring, it is covered.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Has anyone contacted the NRA for suggestions?
I had a policy through the NRA for one year, twice the cost and 75% of the coverage I have now. You’d think they could do better but they have other problems that really need to be solved first.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I was with State Farm (and still am for cars, horse trailers, campers, motorcycles, and my home). It is just they did NOT give me a warm feeling that if I was robbed I'd get the value I put on my list. I got conflicting stories from them over the years as to if I needed appraisals and receipts (how many of you keep a purchase receipt for a gunshow purchase from 30 years ago?). The final straw was when the State Farm lady called about another issue (they won't continue insuring my stored Miata). I took the opportunity to ask "how many guns do you show on my list?" She read over the phone a VASTLY short list. I then asked her to email it to me. I have been updating my inventory list yearly and sending it to them. When I got "the list" back from her, it only had about 1/4 of my items on it. There were a LOT missing, and some quite valuable. If robbed, I would have been hosed.
Then I asked her how they determine payout amounts. As I do every year or so. I get different answers every time. This time she said "oh, you need purchase receipts, photos, proof, appraisals...."
When I called Boyette and some other gun-specific insurers, they all said "big insurance companies know they'll never pay the full value, they don't want to tell you that." Researching, it seems you will get very little for your collection if stolen or damaged.
I went with Boyette. He said they will pay exactly what I estimated, don't need any proof. And it cost half of what State Farm cost.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
AZ
RE car insurance. Several years ago. I switched classic/collector car insurance from Nationwide to Hagerty. My premium was greatly reduced. I was paying Nationwide more for an 04 Tbird than our 07 Corvette, 66 Mustang and 67 Camaro combined at Hagerty.
Vic

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Thanks for the tip man. I was pretty incredulous when they called and said 'we won't insure it anymore because it's not drivable.' I said, "Ok, just insure it as a 'personal property' rider on my home owners policy." She, 'we can't do that either." Me: "Oh yeah, guess you'll lose that part of my business." Then I called the State Farm owner. But still in a state of flux....

·
Registered
93 Posts
I used Collectibles for a number of years and switched to Eastern about ten years ago. They're more pleasant to deal with. Their rates are a little less than Collectibles but the deductible is a little higher. Unless rates have changed in the last year, it costs under $200.00 annually for $50,000 coverage.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts