Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the Forum and look forward to learning from the experts all there is to know about Colt. I enjoy the history and beauty of all Colt firearms. My greatest interest would be revolvers SA & DA. Glad to be on board :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I enjoy the history and beauty of all Colt firearms.
This is one of three known to exist. It came from Sing Sing Prison in New York and was sold as surplus back in '60-61.

It's not mine, but I sure wish it was. The finish is 100% original. It is sitting up in Michigan awaiting reactivation. It is my understanding that the current owner has all the original internal components and top cover. I don't know what happened to the tripod, but it would be just as rare as the gun. The current estimate is that the gun would be valued in the $55K range.

Reactions: coltlondon

·
Registered
673 Posts
When you see how the gun was deactivated back in '60-'61 you will want to cry.

It was deactivated by driving a steel rod through the trunnion pinning the barrel in place. Who cares about the barrel? It can easily be replaced, but the trunnion is another story. The owner was searching for a metallurgist, welder, and machinist to correctly repair the holes and bring the trunnion back to factory specifications. The last I heard, he identified the correct brass chemical composition and is now in the process of finding an expert welder to fill the voids. This repair is not to be attempted by anyone except the most experienced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.