Colt Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
In 18 years of membership here no one has ever insinuated I was a snob or my position in life was far above the riff raff that can only afford to collect "watered down" guns. For 43 years I actually swung a hammer every day and in my best earning years probably made less money than 90% of the membership here. I have owned and still own 'watered down" guns. I bought a Casey and a Johnson both with replaced grips because I don't see them often. Legit restorations are one thing but look at what Tommy Haas was doing for years. When Kopec is gone who is going to authenticate? When the gene pool becomes so diluted with helped, enhanced and restored guns that "only" have a piece or two or maybe more that are modern 'facsimilies' none of our collections will be worth squat because every gun and every part will be suspect. JMO!
Well, as I understand it, Kopec's son is now doing the research. No doubt Kopec is a leading authority but is one of many. There was another by the name of Cochran who has passed. Info that once were only accessible to those such as Kopec but w/ the invention of the puter much is open to all. I have researched 2 documented sidearms w/ articles written on one and a possible article on the other if issues about photos can be worked out but the point I'm making, if a person is dogged in his research, he can uncover a lot that wasn't available a few years ago. Half the fun is discovering it yourself

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
John Kopec is still authenticating Cavalry and Artillery Model revolvers and his son handles the sales of his publications.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In 18 years of membership here no one has ever insinuated I was a snob or my position in life was far above the riff raff that can only afford to collect "watered down" guns. For 43 years I actually swung a hammer every day and in my best earning years probably made less money than 90% of the membership here. I have owned and still own 'watered down" guns. I bought a Casey and a Johnson both with replaced grips because I don't see them often. Legit restorations are one thing but look at what Tommy Haas was doing for years. When Kopec is gone who is going to authenticate? When the gene pool becomes so diluted with helped, enhanced and restored guns that "only" have a piece or two or maybe more that are modern 'facsimilies' none of our collections will be worth squat because every gun and every part will be suspect. JMO!
I am a long time lurker/reader here and I agree with you 100%. I am relatively new to the hobby with the Colt SAA, ( but not new to collecting firearms), but I would have no interest in buying an enhanced/non-original piece. The history is the allure for me. I am a shooter, but I have guns that I shoot and guns that I collect. The historic ones need to be kept just that. I have Italian clones that I shoot, but I keep my real beauties for only occasional outings. I do shoot them, but only once in a while. The clones are good enough for a fun day out in the woods but I like to keep my real Colts pristine....but that's just me. Rugers are also good for shootin'! Same goes for the 1911's.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Yes, the cylinder doesn’t match and it could be a field swapped mismatch, which happened from time to time, but you cannot really prove one way or another. It does hurt the value a bit, but a decent Cavalry Model in today’s market should bring 5k. A few years ago, the market was depressed, and that would have been a stretch, but probably not the case today.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I need to look in my books for that serial # but it could be a NY Militia revolver. It is very common to have mismatched cylinders in those...

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I would not give much credence to the cylinder markings, with the number stamped on top of the drag line, and the other marks stamped over top of the many cylinder scratches.
I would have to agree with you. Good catch!

Also, does anyone recall an authentic Colt first generation revolver with digits out of alignment to the extent these digits are? I don’t.

Unless I am proven wrong, it seems that misaligned digits as extensive as these are an attempt by a faker who is trying too hard to make it authentic. This might be a civilian cylinder dating from 1883 to 1912 which were often unmarked. A clean palate, so to speak.

The question then is, if faking using an unmarked cylinder, why not just fake the 4 last digits of other components of this revolver?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts