Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the repeat. I hadn't seen it before

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I watched this a few years ago and was fascinated with the 2 workers operating the reloading machine. This caused me to hunt down and purchase my own Star Machine Works (the one in the video) reloading press. Great video from a simpler time.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
I had Sgt Sewell Grigger’s Colt Officers Match 22 used in that video. Sgt. made Capt and was eventually transferred to Aero Bureau where he died in a plane crash. Capt. Griggers niece lived in Huntington Beach. I obtained the gun via channels and since sold it to a Forum Member on the QT. Had the original Holster and Colt letter showing it was shipped to LA in 1937. Us LASD deputies get around.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
It may have been posted before, but always fun to watch again! Also some may not of seen this before.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
The first part was cringeworthy!

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I think they used to have jail trustee`s doing the reloading etc. Can you imagine a dept today shooting cigarette`s out of officers ears etc? I would quit before I let someone try that on me! Although years ago I believe I also seen that done in carnivals with a whip!

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
High pucker factor in the first part!
I have seen this video previously, and enjoy it immensely.
I get that solid hit of nostalgia.
And I am reasonably sure there are guys like those men still runnin' around shootin' and loadin' and promotin' the culture as
a matter of daily routine and general principle.
I would estimate some of those guys were around for the first war, and the rest of 'em, and guys I knew, and my Dad and my uncles were around for the second.
They are the guys who kept IIA alive and well.
Now it is our turn.
Let's not screw it up.
Let's not let anyone screw it up.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
The Good Ol Days..Back when Eugene Biscailuz was Sheriff things were different.. We had both Men and Woman shooting teams. When Pete Pitchess took over, not only did the teams start to disappear but so did deputies buying their own guns. The department started issuing S&W Model 15's, 4". Of course we still bought our own guns after graduation...LOL

Here is a picture of the Shooting team back in 1936-37 along with Sheriff Biscailuz...Griggers was just a Deputy then...

But he was so good, The sheriff let him loose to train Movie stars and not just any stars...LOL

He finally made Sgt....

I have a ton of Old Pictures from the Department I have collected over the years from many department members before they crossed over....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts