Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped into the local gun shop today and came upon what I think is a somewhat interesting Colt Commander.

It was a police confiscation/seizure/evidence pistol from Puerto Rico, with a case number etched on the frame. The flats appear to have been polished, with no markings remaining on the left side, and faint marking on the right. The sharp edges have been carry-beveled, with the extractor flush with the rear of the slide. The Armand Swenson thumb safety is meticulously fitted. It has fixed MMC sights.

The Pachmayr grips and MSH will go, but it may stay as is otherwise.

They had a "Glocktoberfest" shindig going on, and it was $100 off all used guns over $500, plus they were giving away $50 coupons for orders over $200.

I think I did pretty well- $550

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not bad for the price and you can always get a nicer slide.
While I probably should have replaced the recoil spring first, I cleaned, lubed, and put 250 rounds of mixed JHP and FMJ downrange. She digested everything I fed her and all grouped nicely.

That said, in 20+ years of shooting and owning 1911s, this was the first time I'd fired one sans beavertail.

One word: ouch.

A beavertail is on the list of "necessary modifications." The MMC fixed sights, apparently all the rage at one point in time, were not very kind to my aging eyes, either, and they'll go, too. Not one, but two, stripped bushing holes.

Very pleased with the purchase so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's what I'm thinking, with Nighthawk getting the job:

-Checker Front Strap 25 LPI

-Reliability Enhancement Package

-Oversize grip screw bushings to fix stripped threads

-Barrel Bushing, Commander, Thick, Stainless, Fully Machined

-Trigger Job, Nighthawk Match Grade Complete Trigger Job, 3.5 - 4.0 lb. (Including all new fully machined parts) Hammer, Sear, Disconnector, Trigger, and Sear Spring **Set pull to 4.0lbs**

-Safety, Beavertail, Install, Fit and Tune

-Magwell, Install and Fit Blended One Piece Magwell/Mainspring Housing (Falcon), cut from forging

-Sights, Install Nighthawk 2 Dot Rear Sight & Tritium
Front Sight

-Test Fire, Inspection, and Target

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
My brother had those MMC sights on his G M for years, I'm not sure what he has now probably King's.
There is a listing in the classifieds for some King's Hardball sights as well as the King Tappan.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
As for the MMC sights - when you change them out, be advised that immediately behind the dovetail, a flat was filed so they'd fit and actually be able to be adjusted, so make sure their replacement covers that, otherwise all you'll see will be the flat.

Personally, I always liked them, so if you want to give them a new home, send me a note.

Finish-wise, since it'll be a carry piece and since the work was neatly done, I'd leave it and just replace the grip safety.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
OP:

Congratulations on your acquisition!

I do not wish to take anything away from NHC. They are one of the best in customer service.

I understand one wanting to have a better trigger. I understand one who wants to have a better set of sights. I undestand one who wants to shoot in the comfort provided by another style of grip safety. These are all enhancements to shooter interface.

Reliability work is something I see as either needed or not needed. Your testing would seem to indicate reliability work is not needed.

Enjoy the pistol whatever path you take!

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Sounds like a very good deal, since most run several hundred more. Is the frame nickled or otherwise plated, or polished in the white? Can't remember if the lightweights were available nickeled. If you can, hold one with the relief cut at the trigger guard/front strap junction. That small cut makes a world of difference in how the gun sits in your hand.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Not to take away from your proposed modifications, but 'you' - armed with a copy of the Brownell's catalog - can handle pretty much everything all by yourself, and for a helluva lot less money.

Most everything you mentioned is primarily drop-in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts