Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Combat Commander. The condition is perfect. My only issue is that the grips look washed out compared to others I've seen.

I emailed VZ Grips and asked if there was a way to get the nicer color I've seen on other examples. They advised me to spray the grips with WD-40 and then wipe them off.

Has anyone tried that? Thanks.

Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Everyday carry Gun barrel

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I would go with Ballistol as it is mineral oil based and less harmful to wood and even leather. WD-40 has paraffin in it and continued use can and will leave a residue in the tight places on a gun in some cases making the screws a real pain to get loose.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just bought a new Combat Commander. The condition is perfect. My only issue is that the grips look washed out compared to others I've seen.

I emailed VZ Grips and asked if there was a way to get the nicer color I've seen on other examples. They advised me to spray the grips with WD-40 and then wipe them off.

Has anyone tried that? Thanks.

View attachment 786767
Use linseed oil.

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The grips the OP is working with are not wood.
Yep, VZ's website states that G-10, "is a high-pressure fiberglass laminate created by stacking multiple glass cloth layers...This is done by soaking the glass in epoxy resin. Then by heat and pressure, it is compressed into the shape you are looking for; primarily sheets and rods."

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I no longer use ballistol. My dad loved the stuff. I had a rare nib Colt it messed up finish on the top of one grip panel. I don’t think it was just an odd occurrence because same thing happened to one of my dad’s rifles. I stopped using it then.

Reactions: Hopalong

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
As to the color you wanted, I feel your pain. I wanted some of their red/black grips for several guns and most I've gotten have had too much black or been muted in the red colors, especially compared to the pictured ones.

Every so often, a very colored set comes out.

That said, VZ grips are some of the best made and definitely serve their purpose. I've used them for work for many years, in fact I was one of the original T&E end users on 1911 panels way back when. Still have that set.

·
Registered
10,814 Posts
WD-40 has been the "trick" for Micarta (to make it black) and G10 since both materials were first used to make grips. WD-40 is basically just kerosine. But most any oil will make G-10 and Micarta darker.

Navidrex, the first Micarta 1911 grips that I know of and then Hogue. G-10 came later.

·
Premium Member
5,171 Posts
Pop 'em off. Pop 'em in an envelope. Pop the envelope in the mail to Colt with a note that the gun dseserves better.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts