Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made pictures of this one last night, and thought the Colt community might like to see it. Colt SAA collectors should take note as well, as what goes for the M1878 also can be seen in the SAA.

Many years ago my friends and I called this variation a "Scalloped Frame" sheriff's model, and guess that I will continue using that phrase. When an order came for an ejectorless Colt SAA, M1878, or M1877, sometimes none were in Colt's inventory. Such was the case here. Thus an ejector frame was selected, and both sides just above the transverse cylinder pin latch were milled. So now, when looking at the frame from the front, both sides were the same. Based on a personal study of 92 Colt M1878 Sheriff Models, only 23 have a scalloped frame (25%).

Another thing different about this gun, is the use of a condensed (shortened) CFSS roll stamp. Based on a personal study of 92 Colt M1878 Sheriff Models, 40 are in 44-40 caliber (43%).

This one has a lanyard ring. Based on a personal study of 92 Colt M1878 Sheriff Models, only 10 have a lanyard ring 11%).

There is a triangle VP on the trigger guard. Apparently this special order lay in inventory for so long that it needed to be test fired with smokeless cartridges. This may prompt some re-thinking about the use of "stronger steels".

Attachments

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice!
The shortened roll stamp is neat
3/12" is also scarce??
By # about 1892?
By my own survey of 92 sheriff's models, only 11 of these Colt M1878's were 3-1/2" (12%). Only 6 of that 11 were 44-40 X 3-1/2". Yep, probably ordered in 1892-93, and someone backed out of the deal. That is my guess, anyway.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I made pictures of this one last night, and thought the Colt community might like to see it. Colt SAA collectors should take note as well, as what goes for the M1878 also can be seen in the SAA.

Many years ago my friends and I called this variation a "Scalloped Frame" sheriff's model, and guess that I will continue using that phrase. When an order came for an ejectorless Colt SAA, M1878, or M1877, sometimes none were in Colt's inventory. Such was the case here. Thus an ejector frame was selected, and both sides just above the transverse cylinder pin latch were milled. So now, when looking at the frame from the front, both sides were the same. Based on a personal study of 92 Colt M1878 Sheriff Models, only 23 have a scalloped frame (25%).

Another thing different about this gun, is the use of a condensed (shortened) CFSS roll stamp. Based on a personal study of 92 Colt M1878 Sheriff Models, 40 are in 44-40 caliber (43%).

This one has a lanyard ring. Based on a personal study of 92 Colt M1878 Sheriff Models, only 10 have a lanyard ring 11%).

There is a triangle VP on the trigger guard. Apparently this special order lay in inventory for so long that it needed to be test fired with smokeless cartridges. This may prompt some re-thinking about the use of "stronger steels".
Charles J. Godfrey must have had something going with Colt M1878's. He bought a number of these guns in all various configurations after about 1904. I had a 32-20 with a SN only 10 short of being the very last one produced. Marty Huber told me that Charles J. Godfrey must have done a close out deal in 1907, with nearly all calibers, barrel lengths, and finishes represented.

My 1905 Colt letter says that only 1 gun in 44-40 x 3-1/2" was sold. But I bet the truth was that many other configurations were purchased by Godfrey that day.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
By my own survey of 92 sheriff's models, only 11 of these Colt M1878's were 3-1/2" (12%). Only 6 of that 11 were 44-40 X 3-1/2". Yep, probably ordered in 1892-93, and someone backed out of the deal. That is my guess, anyway.
Victorio.
What is your estimate of total Sheriff Model production
(I have a 4" .45)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Victorio.
What is your estimate of total Sheriff Model production
(I have a 4" .45)
I never added up the data available in Wilkerson's book before, but did this today. The total number was 1245, excluding a tiny few that were in 4-3/4" and longer barrels. This amounts to 2.38% of total production (52210). The huge majority (1017) were 4" barrels.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I never added up the data available in Wilkerson's book before, but did this today. The total number was 1245, excluding a tiny few that were in 4-3/4" and longer barrels. This amounts to 2.38% of total production (52210). The huge majority (1017) were 4" barrels.
Thank you Jim.
So you could call them "Scarce"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts