Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At today's gun show I picked up a manual called "Century of Achievement 1836-1936" in excellent condition for $25. Copyright 1937 and it's interesting reading/reference. It's not the "Book of Colt Firearms" by RL Wilson but this little 96 page manual packs a bunch of information. Such as description of each firearm, general specifications, special features and calibers offered for that firearm. For those looking for a inexpensive reference manual, I highly recommend picking this one up. Furthermore, it's a original Colt printing.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today the same man showed up with a hardcover version and in excellent condition. I picked it up for $50. The other one was softbound.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
eBay has sure changed the market for these "Century of Achievement" books. I think I paid around $85 for one (hardbound) in the early 1980s. I have bought them as low as $10 (softbound) on eBay, and seldom see them go over $50 or so, even hardbound.

I have a copy of one of the advertisements for these books that Colt ran all during 1936 and into 1937. I think the softbound sold for $.25 delivered, and the hardbound $1.00 delivered. Judging by the number that come up for sale, they must have sold a lot of them, and many must have survived.

The description of how Colts were finished then is required reading to understand how the characteristic finish was achieved. How they kept from buring the place down with hot gasoline, etc. is amazing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
JudgeColt is correct about Ebay.I've never checked there before for these books as I've had a hardcover for 35 years or so.Fifteen or more years ago I used to see the hardcovers at the shows and they always wanted $100 for them, once in a while you'd find one in well worn condition for $125. Nice books though, the old time factory photos are worth the price alone. They sure don't make them like they used to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts