Colt Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
65First,I have no interest or connection with this,but find it interesting. The 1917 barrel looks like "commercial gloss bluing",but yet it is marked "U.S. Govt."We all know that 1917s were a dull,low polished blue. One of the bidders asked if it was marked, "Colt Model 1917 .45 Auto Ctg." This would be for 1 of the 1000 put together in the early 30's of with older styled frames(no checkering on top strap,flat cylinder latches & NO lanyard hole in the butt). It is not. Even later commercial new Service were NOT marked U.S. Property,and while I never say "never",that bluing just looks too good. I have one of the 1000 commercials,and it is not a true hi gloss. "2" bidders pushed this barrel,from its $125 starting bid,to $275 in the first day;then nothing since. Interesting! It is definately a Colt barrel,as I have a Springfield Armory made barrel on a "rebuilt" New Service. Sadly this gun(I got it cheap at a pawn shop),is in the serial # range of my 1 of 1000,with no lanyard hole,but has a different ser. # crane,and one of the "SP" bbls. installed(marked U.S. Property,Colt DA 45,but NO Colt patent dates on top).As an aside,the boys at Springfield Armory didnt do the quality brazing job on the front sight,that the Colt boys did under the "blue dome". I've slightly bent a few N. Service front sights to get windage,but the "SP" snapped right off. Would love to know the background of this "eBay barrel". Any ideas? Bud

1 - 1 of 1 Posts