Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't know about the gun but the engraving has an Art Deco feel to it, which could have been done in 1920 - 1930's that just my opinion as being a jeweler for the last 35 years styles I have noticed styles have crossed over to gun design as well.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I really like the theme of the engraving,it reminds me of some of the old muzzle loader rifles that had indian & hunting scenes on them.Several of my cattle brand engraved guns have lasso's around the patent dates,around the colt address,around the muzzle & the rear of the cylinder & one of them has it running the length of the ejector housing.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know about the gun but the engraving has an Art Deco feel to it, which could have been done in 1920 - 1930's that just my opinion as being a jeweler for the last 35 years styles I have noticed styles have crossed over to gun design as well.
I think your right on the Art Deco look to the engraving. That's the style that fits best as far as I can see. I didn't care for engraved guns at one time, but over the years I developed an appreciation for them. Had I been able to afford it, I would have liked to own this unique revolver.

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts
It has a varied mix of symbols on it....frontier American west and hunting of Jaguar and what appears to be an Aztec design on the cylinder. I didn't blow the picture up but I'm wondering where the caliber marking went. The 2 line barrel address is still there.

Mexico shipped.....no telling what that Bisley could say.

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
I do not care for it at all, but that is all subjective. It reminds me of what a mediocre engraver would do on a bad acid trip. I seem to be in the minority here but that is my opinion.
The seller told me he sold it locally for $5500. :) and as far as a "bad acid trip" What about this one? :eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts
It was an interesting looking piece but I don't see either 3800 or 5500 in that one.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I guess now, I can talk about the transaction, since money has changed hands.

Christmas Eve, I e-mailed the guy to see if he would do (re-post) a "Buy it Now". He called me Christmas Day and we worked the deal out. (He had it for sale locally). He said he had offers all over the place including from a local museum.

The next day, he called me and said a local collector had offered $5K. Since we had a (verbal) agreement, he offered to broker the new deal for me. I had been torn between the Bisley and the Cattle Brand Colt he had but the latter was a 357 (not a favorite caliber of mine). On the other hand, I like Bisleys and love the 41 LC. Since he was working the deal, I offered him 50% of anything over what I was paying him. I CANNOT OVER-EMPHASIZE HOW ETHICAL HE IS!

Well, last I heard, no word back from the other collector, so the " Check is in the mail" and should be there today. Christmas Eve, my new Tom Threepersons rig, all floral engraved came in from EPS. So, my new BBQ gun!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.