Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this story here because it is about the use and a single action 45 Colt in a real gunfight.

I traded guns with men from both sides of the law back many years ago when I was a much younger man during the 1950s and 60s and during that time I had the chance to get to know some of the Old Gunmen that were still alive. In time I had the chance to have an Old Man at the time who was an exTexas Ranger as Me if I would like to do down into Old Mexico with him to find a really bad hombre that was hiding out in the wilds of Old Mexico. I had traded several guns with the old Man and we had become friends. At the time I was in my mid teens and already had met and got to know a number of Old Rangers and Gunmen already. As a young man who wanted to seek his share of excitment I jumped at the chance to go with my friend on this trip.

The days pasted slow waiting for his informent to call and let him know when and where the mean sob would be and after a couple of weeks the old man called and told me where to meet him. Eagle Pass, Texas on a Saturday early in the morning. When I met Andrew he seemed a different man, Not talking much and a look on his face I never had seen before as We crossed the bridge and headed down southward out away from the river Rio Grande and soon we were driving on dirt roads with dust so bad it was hard to breath and the Texas sun hot as hell like always. After driving for a couple of hours we pulled into a ranch Andrew knew the owner and around noon We mounted two fine horses from the ranch and headed futher South in the hot sun with no wind blowing at all. I was excited riding next to the Old Ranger and He spoke not a word. As we rode I watched the Pearl Handled 45 Colt in a hoster under a vest top on his hip and was thinking is this time rolled back perhaps for his last time. At last he led us off the main trail and down into a dry creek bed and for the next couple of hours the sun came down hotter and my skin was burning and by now it was starting to get near sunset when we crossed thur a pass and came up to a small creek that had running water. Letting the houses drink as we did as well the Old Ranger turned and told Me to check My pistol and make sure I had one in the chamber and a full magazine. I watched as He pullled his Pearl handled 45 from his hoster under the vest and checked it as well and reaching in his saddle bag he pulled out a handfull of 45 Colt cartages and drop them in his right pants pocket and and placed a white rag in his back pocket he has said was in case he took a hit. I will never gorget the chance in his mood and the expression on his face when He said the sob should be just up over the next hill at a cantino and if I know him he will be giving some hell and drunk.

We tied both horses and walked up a dirt trail thur thorn bushes and sandy dirt and when he stoppped and pointed ahead we could hear Mexican music and we knew there was a big dance going on and the lights were from burning candles and tourchs as there was no running water or elecitry, Just dry dirt and a low sun. After a while a Mexican woman came out and looking our way she walked fast looking back over her shoulder and in Spanish she infrom Andrew that El Goto ***** was inside and in the back room with three of his buddies playing pool under a lamp and all afternoon He had been trying to start trouble and fight. Andrew give the lady some money and thanked her and telling me to follow behind him and watch his back as we walked heads down in the front door that only had a skin as a door. The first room was about 2o feet across and everone was so busy no one even noticed us as Andrew stepped thur the next door followed by myself and thats when things went to hell fast.

The big sob Andrew was after looked up and screamed in Spanish a few choice words about Andrews mother and at the same time his hand dropped on his side where his 45 Auto was and at the same time the man on ech side made a try to pull their guns and what happen next changed my entire life and how I thought something like this would play out onlto witness something entirely different.

I never saw when Andrew pulled his old 45 and in what sounded like one shot I saw a bullet hole apear in El Gotos shirt and then the top of his head blew off and at the same time both men on each side of El Goto fell at the same time and as Mexicans screamed and run like hell to get the hell out of there thur windows and doorways it was over in a blink of an eye. So damn fast I never had the chance to pull My 45 before three men lay on the dirt floor two with tops of their heads blown off and the one guy to the left was kicking his booths back and fourth as bllod squrted out his chest and his eyes rolling around in his head.

Now I had pulled my 45 Colt Auto and be damn if Andrew turns around and with loud Spanish ask "Do any You other SOB want to join in this fight, Not Your time You sorry SOBs? Then to my surprise he opens the gate on the 45 in his hand and dumps the emptys on the dirt floor and from his righ tpocket He reloads the Peal handled 45 with Winchester-Western cartages and stands there looking around as the fourth hombre is on his hands and knees begging for his life as he has small childern and please do not kill me. Andrew tells him in Spanish to take his gutless ass and his under a rock and next time he will kill him too.

I thought about something watching Andrew relaod as he had the 45 in his hand and that was Pattons words about Pearl grips being a pimps gun and wondered it he would care to tell Andrew that. Andrew turned to Me and said "We better back out of here before we have all Mexico come down on us from our backs" I moved out behind Andrews Back with 45 in hanbd and Andrew followed and we got the hell out of there fast and run back to where the houses were and waisted no time putting distance behind us. By the time we got back to the ranch it was sunup and we drove back and crossed back into Texas with out Andrew saying more than a few words.I for one was glad to be back on Texas soil. To this day I shall never forget that time and some years later when Andrew pasted away I stood looking at his face in his cofin and the entire experence came back in fine detail. I will tell any man alive that if one thinks a Colt 45 single action canot fire sounding like one shot I know different. In times after that I would be there more than once when bullets flew and death came fast, Bit its always that first time You never forget.

I seldom write about some things but over the weekend I had Andrews Old 45 in My hands and decided to share the above experence with any Pards that may enjoy an eyewitness account of a real shootout.

Your Pard, Texas Man

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the black cat.

When I was in high school one of my best friends parents owned a large ranch that was on the Rio Grande River on the Texas side and it run for I think eight miles alone the water. My friends name was Douglas and He and I used to go on weekends to the ranch and exployer around and walk to bands looking for excitment. There were a number of crossings on the place and we knew we would probly find excitment most of the time. I have two stories about those times.

First was on a hot over 100 degreen Texas day when He and I had decided to work our way down alone the high cane alone the waters edge. We had gone some distance and had ended up on a point of land that projected out to a point with water on each side of us. We were trying to decide what to do next when we heard Spanish coming from the Mexican side and horses coming and we squatted down to see who was coming and about then we heard singing in Spanish and hoof beats coming from our other side on the Texas side. With our hearts beats now fast and wondering what and who was coming we decided to lay low and see what would happen next. We started to see Mexicans with big sombros on horses comeing in sight from the Mexican side and about the same time we saw Mexicans coming out of the brust and down towards the water on the Texas side. We could see they had rifles and both had mules behind them as they closed in on the river.

I knew Douglas was up to something when He said "Lets liven things up some" and before I could say a word He jumps up and let go with his Winchester 94 30-30 shooting first at the Mexicans on the Mexican side then The ones on the Texas side yelling at the same time in Spanish words about their mothers and then He drops back down out of sight and man all hell cuts loose. Both sides open up with gunfire as horses and riders run ever whitch way shooting back and fourth as we lay low watching the action. One Mexican and house almost run right over us as the rider fires his rifle and about then another Mexican falls from his saddle not twenty feet from where we are hid. The fight really heats up and starts to move south down the Rio Grande as hundreds of shots are fired and of all the Spanish and cussing I ever heard. We can hear horses in the water and ofter about a good fifteen minutes we hear nothing more as the fight I guess went on.
We wait to make sure no one is around before we come out of hiding and we find five dead Mexicans and two dead horses and one saddlebag with a lot of Mexican money in it. We decide it best we move on before they return. For a while we got to see a real wild shootout and Mexicans are very good horsemen and they give us a good show.

Secound story involves Myself and Douglas a couple of months later.
We were once again sneeking alone the waters edge loing for excitment when we heard 22 gunfire from down the river. That day he and I both had 22 rifles with us and 45 Colts ssa on our hip. We wanted to see where the gunfire was coming from and after a while we could see on the Mexican side a very old Mexican man with a huge sombrea on and carrying in his hands a old trapdoor Sprindfeild riifle like Custer used and with him were two young Mexican kids that I guess wer ehis grandsons about 9 10 years old and each had a single shot 22. The gunfire had come from the boys shooting at tutles in the water and on a log. They have not seen us yet and as Douglas and i watched as the boys tried to hit the tutles on the log Douglas tells me "Hell thats just like a Mexican they cant hid nothing" and about then he starts to knock the three tutles off the log and at the same time yelling insults across the river that He bet the oldman could not hit his own ass either with a gun. Soon I try to get Douglas to come on but He and the old man are now going at it big time.

Then my friend Douglass sees this big tree that has washed over and before I can say a work he jumps up on the side of the tree and drops his pants screaming "Her eYou M------ sob hit my ass you sobs. I am think this is getting out of hand and with Douglas slapping his behind and yeeling hit this you sobs the old Man has had enought and up comes the old 45-70 and with a huge cloud of grey smoke the old man lets go with his Springfield. I watching amasement as the big bullet hits midway in the water of the Rio Grande and flys up and slams into a huge rock on the Texas side of the water and at the same time the big slug flys and hits Douglas right in the top of his crack hots as hell from hitting the rock. My friend screams at the top of his lungs "Oh s--t th eold bastard has shot Me right in the A-- as He falls from the tree onto the ground holding his behind and screaming in pain. I look to see if the old man is reloading for another shot or not only to see him and the boys leaving. I jump down to check on my friend and find the big hot slug has stuck right in the topm of his crack {how else could I put this?} and no skin broke but a huge red spot and the smell of burning flesh in the air. I am trying not to laught but when I do it only makes him madder. I can tell you He never pulled that stunt again and the long walk back to the house was very painful. Years later when I reminded him of that experence he would still get mad.

We had a lot of experences at the ranch over a number of years. My first experence down there was the first time we were sneeking alone the river when catus and misquite trees started to sound funny and we found out they were bullets coming our way from someone who spotted us first. We learned to look better and when we spotted them first we welcomed them with bullets of our own. I dont think things have changed that much down that way today.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have mentioned on this forum that I am editing a partially burned document that was the story of my gggpaws life as a young emmigrant to Texas in the 1840s, his service with the Rangers before, during, and after the Mexican War, and his service in the 19th Texas Cavalry during the ACW.This is the story of hiw he acquired his Walker Colt which he requested be buried with him.
In early 1848, he and a few pards in his Ranger co. were detailed to patrol a section of the road between Vera Cruz and Mexico City. One day as the sun was going down a larger group of Mexican guerillas armed with escopetas and lances engaged them. Gggpaw was out on patrol when fellers in his co. drew Walkers and had to make do with a pair of Army horse pistols in pommel holsters, an Army sabre, and his shortened English shotgun. One of his pards with him on this patrol had drawn one Walker
The guerillas came out of the sun, their lance tips gleaming in the fading light. The first four guerillas cha

·
Registered
179 Posts
...charged him and his pard. His pard pulled out his Walker and took down 2 guerillas. Gggpaw took down one charging him with his lance lowered with his shotgun. Another guerilla came after gggpaw with a sabre. Gggpaw blocked the sabre blow with his shotgun snd pulled one of the loaded single shot horse pistol out of the pommel holster with his off hand, cocked it, and fired point blank into his opponents face. His pard had dispatched another guerilla with a his Walker, but didnt see another coming behind him with a lance. Gggaw shouted a warning, but too late.
The guerilla lanced his pard through his back snd mortally wounded him. Gggpaw pulled his last pistol and dispatched the guerrilla. Gggpaw dismounted and went to the aid of his pard. By this time the fight was over as quickly as it had begun. 10 guerillas lay dead, with 2 Rangers wounded

·
Registered
179 Posts
...and my gggpaws pard dying. As he lay there he bequethed his horse, saddle, gear, and his Walker to gggpaw, who cherished it for the rest of his life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.