Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to sell one of my '97 Riot Guns and dug the letter out so I can include it in the auction. I think it is pretty interesting that it was delivered with a 28" barrel and immediately sent back for the 20" riot configuration. Makes you wonder if Winchester made a mistake or if the purchaser decided they wanted a shorter model instead. Do you think that it was sent back for the transformation hurts it's value v. one that letters being delivered correctly the first time? TIA

·
Premium Member
21,835 Posts
I don't think it hurts the value at all. Some collectors might see that as a small plus since probably not many that may have been sent back would letter as such.
For advanced collectors, it gives them one extra thing to add to the gun's history.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Very interesting Rob. It appears to me that the Model 97 never left Winchester. It was delivered to the warehouse in the original configuration and apparently Winchester needed to pull a Model 97 from the warehouse to make it into a Riot configuration to satisfy an order and pulling an already assembled Model 97 was the quickest way.

Russ is Russell Leander. He was the primary person that the warehouse sent completed firearms to for a different barrel to fill an order. I remember seeing a very knowledgeable individual on the Winchester Forum post this information about Russ.

Edit to add and answer your question; since it appears it never left Winchester until after it was reconfigured to a Riot configuration and then shipped, it doesn't hurt the value and actually makes it more interesting!!!!

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That actually makes a lot of sense Bill, and a perspective I hadn't looked at yet.

Very interesting Rob. It appears to me that the Model 97 never left Winchester. It was delivered to the warehouse in the original configuration and apparently Winchester needed to pull a Model 97 from the warehouse to make it into a Riot configuration to satisfy an order and pulling an already assembled Model 97 was the quickest way.

Russ is Russell Leander. He was the primary person that the warehouse sent completed firearms to for a different barrel to fill an order. I remember seeing a very knowledgeable individual on the Winchester Forum post this information about Russ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.