Colt Forum banner

Interesting Letter on WWII Era Official Police

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  thecoltguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Today I received the factory letter on my OP .38, almost 3 months to the day to the date on the acknowledgment postcard for those that are keeping track of letter lead times.
The first thing that surprised me was that the ship date was a year earlier than the beginning serial number date in the Book of Colt Firearms. It is in the 686000 range and shipped 1/17/42, the book says 685000 was the beginning of 1943. I have heard of guns shipping much later than their actual manufacturing date, but obviously R.L. Wilson was way off for the S/N range of WWII OP's.
Anyway, it was one of 14 similar revolvers shipped to the Constructing Quartermaster, Ohio River Ordnance Works, Henderson KY, C/O the Chas. Leonard Hardware Co. in Petersburg, VA. From what I was able to find on the internet, the Ohio River Ordnance Works was a plant that made anhydrous ammonia for gunpowder or explosives manufacture. It opened in May of 1941 and remained operational until 1950. I had assumed that commercial Colt models shipped during WWII went to defense contractors or police departments with few making it into civilian hands. My gun shipped just 6 weeks after Pearl Harbor so I'll bet defense plant guards were really jumpy thinking about potential espionage. This is part of the fun of collecting.

See less See more
#2 ·
WOW, neat story behind the gun and thats a beautiful example to boot! Thanks for sharing.

#5 ·
I would letter any WWII era commercial model Colt. Not many were released for civilian sale, given that Colt was busy making M1911A1's and various machine guns. Sometime in 1942 they started production of the Commando model and made around 51,000 of those over the next couple of years and I would have to think that commercially finished OP's were only produced in small numbers. Most civilian models will show sales to the Defense Supply Corporation for distribution to various defense contractors, or to municipalities that still had need for police-type weapons.

#6 ·
I would letter any WWII era commercial model Colt. Not many were released for civilian sale, given that Colt was busy making M1911A1's and various machine guns. Most civilian models will show sales to the Defense Supply Corporation for distribution to various defense contractors, or to municipalities that still had need for police-type weapons.
This obscure area of Colt collecting has currently become my main focus ....
I long ago acquired all of the Commando model variations
and I have found all of the other WW2 production commercial model Colts revolvers save one, the Police Positive 38 Special.
Sadly I've hit a brick wall - in that, I haven't found one in the correct serial number range, offered anywhere - at any price.

Its been very frustrating,,,,,,, but the hunt continues.

#11 ·
Beautiful OP and I might add in extremely fine condition from the pics - congratulations. My 1941 OP is an extremely accurate shooter.

Abe, do you per chance own one of the scarce Commando revolvers marked on the backstrap U.S. PROPERTY I am going to look at one next week with this marking - 4 inch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.