Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Interesting indeed...but it doesn't appeal to me. Is it even genuine and a counterfeit letter with a refinished Pyton? A Python is supposed to be better than that.

It looks at first glance a strike era gun...like it's along the same lines as a Peacekeeper, Agent or Commando Special.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Something(s) is really not right about this. Why would the archives letter mention the orange safety disc as part of the package? That was a standard thing across the revolver line for a few years...it merits no archives mention. Plus the "FerDeLance" lightly inscribed on the barrel while the roll marks on the other side look normal and deep?

It looks like someone took a buggered up Python, put some kind of filler where the "Python" roll mark would be and inscribed something different...gave it an inexpensive refinish to cover the flaws it and counterfeited an archives letter. It could prove out to be a good shooter but that's about it.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Something(s) is really not right about this. Why would the archives letter mention the orange safety disc as part of the package? That was a standard thing across the revolver line for a few years...it merits no archives mention. Plus the "FerDeLance" lightly inscribed on the barrel while the roll marks on the other side look normal and deep?

It looks like someone took a buggered up Python, put some kind of filler where the "Python" roll mark would be and inscribed something different...gave it an inexpensive refinish to cover the flaws it and counterfeited an archives letter. It could prove out to be a good shooter but that's about it.
I am inclined to believe original finish based on non-polished metal appearance.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Suspect gun has been altered by someone!? just doesn't look/sound correct. Hmmm......?

Feur D'Lance is spelled wrong too. Named after a deadly snake in Central America. I saw several while I was stationed in Panama. Large yellow/black rattle snake without the rattle. They're bite destroys flesh!

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Somebody stay abreast of developments on this thing.
I ain't buyin' any of it.
When was the last time an essentially unfinished Python was liquidated by the factory as an intact, functioning firearm?
It reeks to me.
But, I ain't in the market, and my opinion is just my opinion.

Edit: Duh. I learn something new every day.
That thing is real.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Python's sure don't look good with satin blue finish. Can you imagine how much lower Python sales would have been if Colt had only put satin blue finish on all Python's instead of the Royal blue.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Appears that machining marks can be seen on left side of barrel toward rear and below mid barrel. Just not finished, or to remove previous stamp?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
After looking at it again, I actually think it's authentic. It is extremely straight and crisp, every edge is clean and even the cylinder stop (the bump on the side plate) is nice and square. This is something you only see on very early Pythons, and it makes me think that this gun was never polished. If you were to create this look on a blued, late production Python, you'd have to spend days with files and emery cloth to redefine those features. This is what I struggle with every time I refinish a Python (especially the late production ones), it can be extremely tedious and many times it's impossible to get it perfect just because of a heavy factory polish. And really: How much sense would it make to fake something that doesn't officially exist? A faker would rather go for a commonly known model that can be passed off without being noticed, not come up with something that raises suspicion from the getgo.

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
It is 100% legitimate. The gun was sold in the March 29, 2009 Colt Archives auction at Greg Martin in California. It was lot number 517 and is shown on page 91 of the catalog of that date. It sold for $1800 (hammer price).
It is interesting to note that the "historical letters" for the Archive auction guns were somewhat different than the usual ones. The descriptions for the auction letters were written by R.L. (Larry) Wilson and he actually had the guns in hand when he did the work. The information in the regular historical letters from the Colt Archives is taken from shipping ledgers. Paul S. and Beverly H. generally do not have access to the actual firearm when preparing a letter.

- - -Buckspen

·
Premium Member
20,522 Posts
It is 100% legitimate. The gun was sold in the March 29, 2009 Colt Archives auction at Greg Martin in California. It was lot number 517 and is shown on page 91 of the catalog of that date. It sold for $1800 (hammer price).
It is interesting to note that the "historical letters" for the Archive auction guns were somewhat different than the usual ones. The descriptions for the auction letters were written by R.L. (Larry) Wilson and he actually had the guns in hand when he did the work. The information in the regular historical letters from the Colt Archives is taken from shipping ledgers. Paul S. and Beverly H. generally do not have access to the actual firearm when preparing a letter.

- - -Buckspen

Bruce, Thanks for that addition!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
After looking at it again, I actually think it's authentic. It is extremely straight and crisp, every edge is clean and even the cylinder stop (the bump on the side plate) is nice and square.
Good eyes! I didn't look at it that close, but after your comments I'm glad I went back to check it out again.

You are correct, this Python was barely polished at all, due to the "satin" finish. This is why the trigger stands out, as it's a slightly higher polish. It also appears all the screw & frame pin heads are normal "high" polished too. The cylinder stop is the neat thing to see, it's so large and blocky, practically untouched. On a normal Python that would get polished down and shaped thinner, on this one it's just like it would be before polishing. You can also see the machining lines in the cylinder flutes and other surfaces like the barrel and crane.

Very interesting to see, and even with the slightly lousy finish, I still like it because of that "squareness". It has sharp defined edges, uniform curves, and flat/straight surfaces, just like the Colts of old. This was probably the "sharpest" Python produced during that time period, but quite a few really like the over-polished Pythons of peak production, so it's all subjective.

I just love studying these guns and all the little nuances/details of them.

Reactions: ei8ht
1 - 20 of 20 Posts